GSP Breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Benjamins
Puffer Fry

GSP Breeding

Post by Benjamins »

Hi there,
I'm rather new but I've tried finding anything about breeding these wonderful little fish (GSP) and there is nothing concrete out there about breeding them. But has anyone really tried? I have not even seen pictures of adults with the exception of pufferpunk's puffs so maybe it's simply a matter of getting abunch of adults together ensuring there is an opposite sex. There has to be some info somewhere! They gather them from the wild so someone must have seen some breeding going on at some point. Who wants to go to Sri Lanka and get some video and pics of them breeding in nature? ;-).
I just get worried about any pet that is dependant on wild caught specimens. People managed to captive breed sea horses, hopefully we will have captive bred puffs at some point. Any thoughts?
Don
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP Breeding

Post by Pufferpunk »

I believe there is an article out there somewhere in German. Search this forum for more info.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP Elevator.....Lord Vator to everyone else...

Re: GSP Breeding

Post by julianchan »

I have often wondered what would happen when you dropped about 100 adult GSP's that have been living in near SW conditions into a 3000 gallon tank at a lower SG. Not only would that look amazing...in theory....I wonder if that could be a trigger....migration like salmon to fresher water for spawning, or just more rainwater during the monsoon season triggering spawning....I'll let you know when I can afford a 3000 gallon tank setup......and 100 30 gallon SW tanks.....and safely handle 100 GSP's. And scuba gear to clean the tank.
jimi
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Tetraodon biocellatus :karma and Vipaka
1 Carinotetraodon Lorteti : gir
1 Auriglobus modestus :big red
1 Takifugu ocellatus : shark bait
Other
1 : Apteronotus albifrons
1 : Stigmatogobius sadanundio
2 : Brachygobius xanthozona
3 : Epalzeorhynchus frenatus.
4 : Pantodon buchholzi