Monotrete Cochinchinensis breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
KJB
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: One Monotrete Cochinchinensis - Fangs Puffer

Monotrete Cochinchinensis breeding

Post by KJB »

The pufferpedia says they can be bred. Are there any documented cases or any writing on the matter? I have seen red and am one hundred percent sure my puffer is a Monotrete Cochinchinensis so now I may want to work on my puffers diet but also maybe breeding them in the future. I would love to find any info that can help in determining my puffers sex and find more details on them in general. Would I have any luck at looking into Academic journals? I think this could be a great product as I have been debating breeding Apistogramma boprelli, Celestial Pearl Danios or Puntius Donsonii. This could be a bit more rewarding.

Also any details on specific water quality so I can plan for any changes I may need to make. Right now my tanks water stats are

temp = 77
ph = 7.4
Hard as Hell
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 2ppm (a little low for a planted tank)
20 gallon on its way to being heavily planted with one Monotrete Cochinchinensis and RCS as snacks/clean up crew - Puff tank
40 gallon South American Planted Tank.
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Re: Monotrete Cochinchinensis breeding

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi kjb,
i have written some things about breeding this species but unfortunately everithing is in german an i do not have the time to translate everything of it. but feel free to ask questins!
your water parameters are o.k.. ther is no sexualdimorphism as i know. if you are lucky to find a pair, breeding is very simple, but this species tends to kill his mates if it is no pair when getting mature. snails should, like with most freshwaterpuffers, be the main diet. but you may give them all the other frozen and living food. they like to have fish sometimes.
martin
KJB
Dwarf Puffer

Post by KJB »

Martin Hi,

Thank you for your response... If you have alink to your german writing that would be great. My Duetch is pretty bad these days but I may be able to translate it or my Oma could help me. She would enjoy the project actually. My first questinon is how did you get them to spawn originally? Is there anything you do to trigger it? How did you get the pair, mix in the puffers or raise them in the same tank and pray? If they are egg scaterers once the eggs are laid do I need ot remove the two puffers from the tank and then seperate them as well?

Thank you again for your guidance this could be a reat project.
20 gallon on its way to being heavily planted with one Monotrete Cochinchinensis and RCS as snacks/clean up crew - Puff tank
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
KJB wrote:If you have alink to your german writing that would be great. My Duetch is pretty bad these days but I may be able to translate it or my Oma could help me. She would enjoy the project actually.
My first questinon is how did you get them to spawn originally? Is there anything you do to trigger it?
How did you get the pair, mix in the puffers or raise them in the same tank and pray?
If they are egg scaterers once the eggs are laid do I need ot remove the two puffers from the tank and then seperate them as well?
@1: the only online text in german: http://www.kugelfischforum.de/index.php ... 9838c6ab41
@2: i did not do anything: mature cochinchinensis do spawn every some weeks. it seemed to me that they did spawn more often in summer. so it may be that they like it a little warmer.
@3: the male fish cares about a week or so for the eggs. after hatching he will eat the larvae. therefor you have two opinions: remove the eggs soon after spawning or remove them some time before hatching. i usually use the second version cause the male one does a good care which means the hatching rate will rise.

martin
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

There were a few folks here many years ago, who documented this. I forget his name.

(Moving to breeding forum.)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
there will also be an updated text in the next issue of the magazine amazonas, which is also in german. if you remind me in a month or so, i could send you a copy of it!
martin
KJB
Dwarf Puffer

Post by KJB »

Martin Hi.

Thank you for your responses. I would love a copy of the text I am trying to translate your article and will attach my translation below so you may adjust it and possibly use it. Please forgive any mistakes but my German is abysmal as I am an American and have only family ties to Germany. I am Also Pufferpunk you could use it to add to our pufferpedia if we have permission :D .

Scientific Name: Monotrete cochinchinensis
German Common Name: Fangs Kugelfisch
English Common Name: Fang's puffer
Synonyms: Tetraodon fangi, Tetraodon ocellaris, Tetraodon leiurus brevirostris, Tetraodon cochinchinensis
First Described by: 1866 von Steindachner
Native Location: Mekong
Chao Phraya
Indonesien
Malaysia
Native Range "Mekong basin in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam; Chao Phraya basin; possibly also in Malay Peninsula and Sumatra.“ (Kottelat 2001, S. 166)
Physical Description/Identification: Distinguished from other species of genus in Mekong basin by: - greenish back with black spots, not well demarcated from belly / - belly greyish to dark brown, with or without dark markings / - adults with an ocellus, sometimes red but most commonly made of a large black blotch surrounded by a paler area and a searies of more or less contigous large black blotches / - juveniles with a small red spot in center of concentric pale and black circles.“ (Kottelat 2001, S. 166)
Size: 10 cm
Temperature: About 25 C, 24-28C is acceptable.

Diet: Snails, insect larvae, most invertebrates and fish.

Behavior: M. cochinchinensis is a relatively easy fish to keep if you note some things. Because it measures 10 cm fully grown and is relatively aggressive even among one another. A hobbyist can hold one in a medium-sized tank (at least 100 l, better more). The tank should be structurally complex inside. If at all possible many roots, stones caves and plants should be included. It is a pure fresh water puffer fish and most water conditions are secondary. It should not however be kept in soft water.

Two things are to be noted in this type unconditionally:

1: The puffer is a specialized snail glutton; snails should be its head nourishment. Additionally almost all living and frozen foods can be fed to this species of puffer. Nevertheless: Snails are a life necessity for it!
2: It is a very aggressive puffer fish. It is vicious towards its own kind or con-specifics. Therefore it is dissuaded to mix other fish in with it especially other puffers. All slow moving fish are guaranteed to be consumed or attacked with some faster fish being possible short term tank mates.

Breeding: The couple according to laicht will court one another day after day over the spawn place chosen previously. At the same time 100-150 eggs are discarded approximately 1.5 mm of large eggs, which the male guards. As a spawn place, smooth, firm places are preferred, e.g. slate, ideally smooth root parts, or the inside of a flower pot. The chosen spawn site is polished before a spawn thoroughly with the mouth.

Caution: If the male is strongly frightened, it may eat the entire brood, which is common among many cultivated fishes. The male operates a very demanding cleansing of the brood: The male will polish the are around the span with its mouth, constantly stirs the water with its breast fins to creat nonstop oxygen flow and removes unfertilized white eggs quickly with the mouth. You can observe a permanent "stroking" of the brood with the belly; perhaps a further plaster method, perhaps however serves it also the better circulation the eggs. In 28 C, the eggs hatch after six to seven days (other reports describe a hatch after seven days in 30 C). The male guarded the brood to the hatching of the last fish (where the "stroking" with the belly to the end there increased), heard the brood care up.

The wigglers have after the hatching a small yolk sack that last several days. Once hatched the fry are already 2 mm and lie or fasten themselves to an object. On the second day, the fry are already free swimming and can be seen on the waters surface where they fill itself apparently the floating bubble. Eating can be observed on the third day. They were fed with freshly slipped Artemia Nauplien problem-free and in large quantities. The fry should be fed from now on multiple times daily with small quantities of Artemia. They grow very quickly. After some weeks, then also Cyclops- and Diaptomusnauplien are taken, soon after that also Daphnia. Caution: Do not feed young MS. cochinchinensis with mosquito larvae, under no circumstances. Avoid feeding them with white mosquito larvae! The fry do often die within a few minutes after this is done. All in all raising fry is no problem if one remembers the above caution. A regular water change in the raising tank ( five times daily, one-fifth with water out of the main tank) and good ventilation with an air stone or sponge and it should be problem free.

An easy and very interesting charge, Monotrete cochinchinensis is a great fish if you follow the conditions above.

Poison: It has been noted that eating this puffer will result in a very bad case of food poisoning.

I have two interrelated questions: do you just put two puffers together and see if they are male and female? Once you find they are male and female do you just leave them together in the same tank at all times just removing the fry once they hatch?