Sexing/Breeding Fahakas

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
fahakaking
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka

Sexing/Breeding Fahakas

Post by fahakaking »

Does anyone know how to sex Fahaka's? I was also curious if anyone has successfully bred tehm in captivity if so how? All I have read states that they are all wild caught.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Re: Sexing/Breeding Fahakas

Post by Troender »

Read this topic. It will give you some answers you are looking for.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

So basically they'll kill each other if they are in the same tank, even if they are divided?
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

Thats awesome! The pictures didn't work for me though.
The Bruce
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2xFahaka
3xDwarf
1xMbu
1xHumpback
1xDogface
1xMuirus
1xRedeye

Post by The Bruce »

yeah they won't work for me either, but i have a feeling that "ancient picture of a fahaka" is the same one i have in my gallery......i wanna see those pictures
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 fahaka 2 gsp
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs
1 sap and thats just the puffers!!! So i'm a little fish crazy

Post by apachepufferman »

Thats an old article (2003) The only reason i think it really worked is that there were more than 2 fahakas in the tank. I believe their territory was established and they were to worried about singling out one fish to go after in fear of losing there area to another fish. I plan to test this theory when I finish my 500g. I'm thinking about getting a total of 4 fahakas in there to see what they do. I'm goin to talk to my lfs in case it doesn't work to see if he will help rehome them in case of emergency. I"m kinda interested to see if it works. Imagine 4 full size fahaka cohabitating!!
adam
The Bruce
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2xFahaka
3xDwarf
1xMbu
1xHumpback
1xDogface
1xMuirus
1xRedeye

Post by The Bruce »

you're insane, but i love it
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs

Hey why not give it a shot. there will be pleny of room its gonna be a 48x68ishx30 tank with some good aquascaping too. I think/hope that it will be a four fahaka paradise. I might do some partitioned off shelfs to hold lobsters and clams as well.
adam
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have read that the experts aren't sure how they spawn even in the wild, w/o killing each other. Good luck!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs

i just got some hope when reading that article and thread. They have to be in the same water somehow so I'm gonna try to find out.
adam
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Will you have 4 seperate tanks ready if tghey start fightint? What about at night? Personally, I wouldn't try this. Are you an experienced breeder? What will you do with all the fry? They will have to be housed individually, as they will certainly eat each other. I'm sorry to be so discouraging but I'd hate to hear of 4 beautiful dead puffers. Just call me the Devil's Advocate!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

Pufferpunk wrote:Will you have 4 seperate tanks ready if they start fighting? What about at night? Personally, I wouldn't try this. Are you an experienced breeder? What will you do with all the fry? They will have to be housed individually, as they will certainly eat each other. I'm sorry to be so discouraging but I'd hate to hear of 4 beautiful dead puffers. Just call me the Devil's Advocate!
I actually kinda agree with PP here. As extreme as it sounds, I actually think that taking some precautions would be a good idea. Large fahakas aren't cheap....
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs

I'm not really to interested in the breeding of them I was just wanting to have four of them in the tank. I have read both ways on the keeping of them. One says they will do anything to kill the other and the next kept 5 together in a 240. I theorize that it is a numbers game. With only 2 there will be an expressed dominance issue. With 4 or more the expression of dominance might be played down.

I also will be getting them as babies and I'm a firm believer that if you start something out in an enviroment as a baby and they grow to adulthood they won't know any difference.

I'm still kicking the idea around. Not totally set on it. I just think it would look really cool in one tank.
adam
flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Post by flash.dan »

sometimes females will bloat with eggs then dispose of them 99% of the time they will eat them themselves. This behavior is not very common as they are kept alone usually it will only happen once maybe twice a year. but thats the only way i knew my old one was female as i saw her discard the unfertilised eggs