Hairy Puffer Breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
NoFace
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka, 12 Dwarf Puffers, 4 Sap.

Hairy Puffer Breeding

Post by NoFace »

Is there any record of baileyi breeding in captivity, or does any one know of any one that has done it.
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Re: Hairy Puffer Breeding

Post by crazedpuffer »

Moved to the puffer breeding section.

Here's someone who had them lay eggs, but the fry didn't hatch. There might be other cases too, try a forum search .
NoFace
Puffer Fry

Post by NoFace »

o Yeah just been reading Jelly's posts on his pair, reason i have been asking is because i might be getting my hands on 4 next week.

I will be keeping them at my LFS (my work) for a month before i bring them home, i am just in the process of setting up a juwel rio 400 for them (400 litre) with a tank on stand by if i have to move them. I will be recording every thing day by day and in detail.
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Everyone I know how's tried it said they are very aggressive, definately keep an eye on them or you'll have dead puffers before you know it. Always supervise, and if you haven't, read Rocker's article on breeding his Arrowheads, probably similar steps need to be taken (lots of room, good food, etc).
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Yeah I agree, I think the tuogh part will be the aggression and knowibg what triggers breeding. Its also tough sexing them as far as I know so that in itself will naturally cause problems. I think thy key is to give plenty of hiding places and lots of tall plants to block lines of sight. I recomend Giant Vallis for that tank as I have the same and unless you upgrade the lights the depth of the tank means some plants will struggle. If you want any info on the tank and how to get the best out of it PM me for details. Good luck with it all, I can't wait to read it all ;)
cobra1713
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cobra1713 »

i only have two words "good luck"!!! if you can acomlish this then congratulations and keep a good journal!
60g with 2 angels, 1 yoyo loach, Upside down catfish, Clown Loach, 1 leopard Ctenopoma, 12 black skirt tetras and a L201 Pleco

30g GSP tank (soon to be 35 gal Hex)
NoFace
Puffer Fry

Post by NoFace »

Thanx guys if i need advice here is the first place i will come, right 4 came into our shop the other day but sad to say one did not make it, he looked really bad when he came in and i spent yesterday trying to save him, but because its my day off 2day i called up work to see if he made it through the night but he did not, I am so gutted. So any way i have 3 now that i will be bringing home in about 2 weeks or less, wont be ready to breed for ages because they are all only 1inch, lol they look so cool at that size. Now i know there is no way of sexing them even more so at that size, but i have always been good at sexing suvattii's and so far i think i now may have 2 females and 1 male, but of course i can be wrong at this stage. Still in the process of setting up the tank layout, i will be doing some more of this today. will post some photos up soon of progress of the tank, and will welcome any suggestions.

O yeah dont you just some times wish you had more space, i have 3 suvattii's at work 2 males and 1 female that are ready for breeding, lol.

Post by manutius »

sounds promising though its a shame its only 3 puffers :( Best of luck and looking forward to the pics
cobra1713
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cobra1713 »

sorry for the loss, but good news is you still got three awesome puffers and a chance to try and breed those awesome puffers so keeps us informed on any progress, i mean doubt that will be a while.

you know how fast they grow? is it like the brakish puffer, really really slow? lol
60g with 2 angels, 1 yoyo loach, Upside down catfish, Clown Loach, 1 leopard Ctenopoma, 12 black skirt tetras and a L201 Pleco

NoFace
Puffer Fry

Post by NoFace »

Yeah it is a shame its only 3, but the 3 left now are starting to look really nice, they have settled in shop now, they are so active at the moment its crazy, they have been feed live shrimp and we are still trying to get them on dead food. As far as beefing them them up lol just going to make sure they get very well fed with lots of different foods (live and dead) and plenty of small waters changes to promote there health and growth.

Post by cobra1713 »

awesome sounds like there off to a good start, do you have them in their own tanks right now or are they all in one already?

can you get some pics yet? id love to see the

NoFace
Puffer Fry

Post by NoFace »

Day off work 2mo but i will take a photo on friday if i can, yeah they are all in the same tank, they are doing very well 2gether. I got them on bloodworm (frozen) today, I spent most of my day watching them when i could and they are really starting to come out of there shells. I stand by the fact i think i have one male and 2 females. they might be coming home with me after the weekend, the tank will be ready for them by end of weekend. Aswell I am thinking about bringing a male and a female suvatti home start of next month and try and get them to breed because they are ready now where as the baileyi's are still to small.

Post by cobra1713 »

awesome! sounds cool, well i was gonna say i got first dibs on offspring but i read you live in england so that wont work to well, with me being in california and all lol, but i still wish you good luck with it.

manutius
Former Staff Member

Post by manutius »

Great news on the puffers and I hope they accept the mighty mussel as food soon. I am really excitied about this project, when you succeed I think I may take a very long drive to collect myself one 8)
NoFace
Puffer Fry

Post by NoFace »

Bad news the one that came in with a nasty infection died the other night, i was trying so hard to fight it and at one point it looked like i was wining. Two came in looking really bad and we lost them after trying many different things. so looks like i will b bringing home only 2 now, I am so angry at the supplier, now do i bother getting any more after i bring these 2 home.