GSP's and breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
studmaster
Figure 8 Puffer

GSP's and breeding

Post by studmaster »

I know it hasn't been done before in captivity (at least not recorded), but does anyone know roughly how it works? To successfully get them to breed and raise the fry would be next to impossible in a closed system. Does the female lay eggs and the male then fertilizes them? Or does the male fertilize the eggs while they are inside the female? Any idea what color the eggs are? I recently got two new GSP's and one looked to be "passing" dark colored balls. It's probably just feces but I would like to learn more on this process.
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: GSP's and breeding

Post by Nick »

GSP feces are often in balls. If your fish are under 4", it's unlikely they are sexually mature. I found some details on a sucessful spawning by a German fellow, but was only able to translate crudely. Apparently you must increase water changes gradually until you are doing them every other day, at about 70%, and then you must start changing the SG and temperature of the water, in what exact pattern is unclear from the translation I got, but it certainly throws some ideas about shocking fish with different temperature water out the window. The female lays the eggs in a depression in sand where there is cover, then the male fertilizes them and chases her away. She has to be removed at that point, but the male will tend the eggs, which are TINY, until they hatch.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
studmaster
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by studmaster »

That's very interesting, thanks for the post. When I retire, I might take a stab at recreating their natural habitat ....but it would require a lot of time and effort.
Fella
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Fella »

studmaster wrote:I know it hasn't been done before in captivity (at least not recorded)

It's recorded in one of hans Baensch's aquarium atlases...
studmaster
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by studmaster »

Fella wrote:
studmaster wrote:I know it hasn't been done before in captivity (at least not recorded)

It's recorded in one of hans Baensch's aquarium atlases...

cool, any links to it? Or is it common to find in a library somewhere? Do you remember if the process was recorded or just that it was done?
Umbrella
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 12 T. Nigroviridis
2 Giant GSP (not a real gsp IMO)
9 T. Biocellatus ( 6 are babies )
4 C. Assellus
18 C. Travancoricus
4 M. Cochinchinensis
5 Auriglobus Silus
4 Chelonodon Patoca
1 O. Cubicus

Post by Umbrella »

Nick wrote:GSP feces are often in balls. If your fish are under 4", it's unlikely they are sexually mature. I found some details on a sucessful spawning by a German fellow, but was only able to translate crudely. Apparently you must increase water changes gradually until you are doing them every other day, at about 70%, and then you must start changing the SG and temperature of the water, in what exact pattern is unclear from the translation I got, but it certainly throws some ideas about shocking fish with different temperature water out the window. The female lays the eggs in a depression in sand where there is cover, then the male fertilizes them and chases her away. She has to be removed at that point, but the male will tend the eggs, which are TINY, until they hatch.
Hey Nick, where was this German fellows stuff. I know German.. maybe I can help?

Also - One can 'shock' a fish, but small temperature differences will not kill it. Only large differences. Like taking a tropical fish out of tropical water and chucking it into a pond, will shock and kill it. But that is exactly what I have been working on. Get my GSP's to breed. Obviously the conditions need to be correct to get them to do so. There are only so many things one can change in the water environment. Salinity, Temperature, Flow, Oxygen levels, Amount of space to work with and Scenery (substrate/plants/rocks/lights). Oh yea - and privacy. Thats what I have so far.

When YOU move a fish between waters - they don't expect a change in temp.
When THEY move themselves between waters - they know exactly what is going on.

Right ?

I have a feeling its not exactly rocket science but since we are walking into this in the dark, blindfolded... it kind of is rocket science now... :(

According to you they require sand. SO.. if you have no sand in your GSP breeding tank - you will never see babies. No sand = No babies! See ? Its not rocket science. So...allow me to OVER fill my tank with sand. Lets see what happens.
PERSISTENCE!
studmaster
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by studmaster »

Umbrella wrote:
Nick wrote:GSP feces are often in balls. If your fish are under 4", it's unlikely they are sexually mature. I found some details on a sucessful spawning by a German fellow, but was only able to translate crudely. Apparently you must increase water changes gradually until you are doing them every other day, at about 70%, and then you must start changing the SG and temperature of the water, in what exact pattern is unclear from the translation I got, but it certainly throws some ideas about shocking fish with different temperature water out the window. The female lays the eggs in a depression in sand where there is cover, then the male fertilizes them and chases her away. She has to be removed at that point, but the male will tend the eggs, which are TINY, until they hatch.
Hey Nick, where was this German fellows stuff. I know German.. maybe I can help?

Also - One can 'shock' a fish, but small temperature differences will not kill it. Only large differences. Like taking a tropical fish out of tropical water and chucking it into a pond, will shock and kill it. But that is exactly what I have been working on. Get my GSP's to breed. Obviously the conditions need to be correct to get them to do so. There are only so many things one can change in the water environment. Salinity, Temperature, Flow, Oxygen levels, Amount of space to work with and Scenery (substrate/plants/rocks/lights). Oh yea - and privacy. Thats what I have so far.

When YOU move a fish between waters - they don't expect a change in temp.
When THEY move themselves between waters - they know exactly what is going on.

Right ?

I have a feeling its not exactly rocket science but since we are walking into this in the dark, blindfolded... it kind of is rocket science now... :(

According to you they require sand. SO.. if you have no sand in your GSP breeding tank - you will never see babies. No sand = No babies! See ? Its not rocket science. So...allow me to OVER fill my tank with sand. Lets see what happens.
PERSISTENCE!
That's a great attitude to have! If you keep trying to figure it out and don't take no for an answer you will find the answer, just a matter of time....and like you said persistence! Good luck...I hope to join you in a few years when I retire.