GSP breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

GSP breeding

Post by zombiefetus »

After much debate I think I'm going to use my empty 29gallon to house another GSP. While I'd love to experience caring for other puffers GSPs will always be my absolute favorite.
But of course, the moment I decide I want one, they're no where to be found.
I'd also like to try my hand at breeding them, which I know, has been tried a million times, but it never hurts to try. So once they're both full grown I'd like to transfer them into a large (I'm thinking 90-125) tank. And try out a few theories. I'm thinking of getting a group of 3-4 puffers all together and set the tank up as follows:
-very deep sand bed (2-5"). The reason being, I found an old fish book on my book shelf today which states "The male guards the eggs which are laid on a stone and later he transfers the young to a pit in the sand" So I'm wondering if a deeper sand bed where making a "pit" is easier will entice them to breed.
-A few slate stones of different shapes and sizes
-Driftwood
-Heavily planted
-strong current. In theory, I'd guess GSPs spawn in a river, so creating a stronger than normal current may do the trick.
-Low s.g. I'm thinking around 1.008 lowering it all the way to freshwater doesn't seem to work, but maybe stopping short of freshwater along with other changes will help, I'd be hesitant to put them in freshwater for any amount of time anyway.

So that's my crazy plan. It's still about half a year away, but I thought it would be nice to start planning now and bounce some ideas off everyone here. Because of course if they bred I'd be more than happy to send everyone a nice tank bred GSP.

(the book I was looking at is called The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish by Dr. Stanislav Frank)
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Re: GSP breeding

Post by Jase »

good luck! :D
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
SpockthePuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: A wee GSP named Milton

Post by SpockthePuffer »

It would be cool if you succeeded. I think someone else on here is trying to breed them... was it Umbrella? I think it was but I'm not sure.
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when clearly it is Ocean." - Arthur C. Clarke

~Shannon~
10g betta & snail tank, 30g GSP named Milton, 55g sw fowlr
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

Sounds like a shot. Be careful with deeper sand beds as they need to be stirred frequently to avoid anaerobic pockets. :)
E.Ridgeway