Is it possible to breed two different species of puffers?

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Mother Yoda
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Ohio, United States

Is it possible to breed two different species of puffers?

Post by Mother Yoda »

This may be a dumb question but after finding out that their may not be a type of puffer that I was wanting I have come to the question of this. Is it possible to breed a Red Tailed Redeye Puffer/ Carinotetraodon irrubesco and the South American Puffer/Colomesus asellus? If not is there away to miniaturize the Mbu and or Fahaka Puffer? I would really like to know please.

Mother Yoda
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Is it possible to breed two different species of puffers?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your answer is no, at least with the species you are speaking of. Now, there are a lot of morphs of puffers of similar species but you are speaking of species that don't even come from the same parts of the world. It is practically impossible for fahakas to breed with each other, never mind a different species.

There has to be something you can find that you like. What size tank are you working with?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

Some closely related species can breed though. There are reports of Pustulatus Lineatus hybrids.
Mother Yoda
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Ohio, United States

Post by Mother Yoda »

Pufferpunk wrote:There has to be something you can find that you like. What size tank are you working with?
There is, but the Mbu puffer grows to an absurd size and wouldn't be able to be in a 125-135 gallon tank.