How to tell preggo DP?!

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
thejoie
Puffer Fry

How to tell preggo DP?!

Post by thejoie »

I went away to Vegas for 4 days. Came home and today was feeding my puffers when all of a sudden... WHERE IS BEAKER?!?! WHY ISN'T BEAKER EATING!?

I'm looking all over the tank. And come on, these are DPs, they NEVER miss a feeding.
I'm freaking out. I'm getting sad. I'm furious at my sister (who was watching my tank) that she didn't perform the proper life saving measures!!!

Then I see Beaker, all the way in the back, hanging out in the moss and these super tall, dense, plants. I put some food by 'im and when he comes out of the plants... wooooah.... Beaker is HUGE!!
The other two are stuffed with bloodworms and they look nowhere NEAR as big as him (her...?)
And this doesn't look like a "I ate a lot" belly?

Any pregnant DP pics available for comparisons?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: How to tell preggo DP?!

Post by Pufferpunk »

She sounds preggers to me! She'll probably lay her eggs in the moss. I hope she'll let you watch.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
thejoie
Puffer Fry

Post by thejoie »

Pufferpunk wrote:She sounds preggers to me! She'll probably lay her eggs in the moss. I hope she'll let you watch.
You totally called it when you saw my tank!!I was a bit skeptical.. but seeing her now... yea... crazy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You're kinda young to be a grandma. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 fahaka 2 gsp
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs
1 sap and thats just the puffers!!! So i'm a little fish crazy

Post by apachepufferman »

Thats awesome!!! I can't wait till I get my big tank for my fahaka then I will have a 30g just for my DPs and maybe they will make some babies for me.

Take some pics if you can and keep us updated on how the eggs/babies fair.
adam
thejoie
Puffer Fry

Post by thejoie »

I am too young to be a grandma!! But if that's the case, I welcome babies with OPEN ARMS!!!

She insists on hiding in the back so it's hard to get a picture of her but I'll keep watch :)
thejoie
Puffer Fry

Post by thejoie »

Would a DP be protective of the area? I went to feed and she immediately went to the same spot in the back. Very unlike a DP!! My little ones are front and center when food comes. Could she be protecting something? It's so odd.

I know the others aren't bothering her. I've watched them interact. It's crazy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yesh she would protect her spawning grounds. With most puffers though, the male protects & fans the eggs.

thejoie
Puffer Fry

Post by thejoie »

hmm... interesting
andreas
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Carinotetraodon irrubesco

Post by andreas »

Hi,

sure it's a female? The male dwarf puffers are the ones protecting the spawning ground. The females actually steal the spawn ...

Technically it makes sense that a female has to be a bit bigger when they are spawning. The eggs don't appear out of nowhere... But honestly, we never saw a difference.

Our puffers keep on spawning for some weeks. Usually for like half an hour or one hour in the late atfernoon. If they are actually spawning, you might still be abled to watch it ...

Best regards,
Andy
Linktbud
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Linktbud »

Just got home and started admiring my tank and noticed my guppy is definitely prego but then looked down and saw that two of my three dwarf puffers have fat bellies.... I saw they lay eggs but does anyone know where they might lay them and what they actually look like pregnant? I managed to snap a couple pictures. I’ve been planning on replacing the large tank gravel with more natural looking sand and now I’m afraid to if she lays eggs and I accidentally kill them 😭😭
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.