Setting up a fahaka tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Setting up a fahaka tank

Post by Boxermom »

I'm looking for suggestions on setting up Linus' forever home, a 125g tank. Its going to have some decor, no idea what kind, but most likely not really suitable for the long term for him (its a frontosa cichlid tank). Any recommendations? I'm afraid to make it a planted tank as I know most large fish uproot and rearrange them all too often, but have no idea what to do with it. Suggestions anyone?

This is what the tank looks like right now:

Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

You could put some plants in pots if you really want, say some taller crypts or crinium in the back, something like that. Then again, he may just bite them off!

Otherwise, I have no clue.. what color substrate are you planning? Didn't someone say you can tweak a fahakas colors with the substrate color a little?
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

I would stay away from sand in a tank that size personally and The only thing I can say about decor is don't over do it. He will be a big fish and require most of the tank space.
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Talking personally you will need to strike the balance between space for linus, interest for him and a look you are happy with. Once you have worked out the prioroties there then you can decide what to do. Planting a big tank can be troublesome, trust me I know. I have set up Clooney's tank with decor and planting all around the outside to give him space to turn and move about. Admitedly we have established that his tank is not big enoogh for him but I think you could set something up for Linus along the same roots.

What you can do is get the plants in and well established before you move him over. Clooney has never uprooted ant plants apart from an onion plant (crinum thaianum) as I think the bulb he mistook for food. Ideal plants for you would be Giant Vallis (Vallisnera Americana) this grows huge and is realtively hardy. Take a look in my album or on my weblink for an idea of what I am on about :D
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

My Fahakas were not nearly as hard on the plants as was the mbu, and even the mbu allowed plants in some areas (back corners and one end wall). I used mainly Crinums, but Jungle Val is a fully viable alternative giving much the same effect.

No sand in large tanks for me.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

No, no sand. The tank is coming complete with all of the decor you see in that picture, including the gravel which looks like its sort of brown/tan river rock gravel. I was thinking of using silk plants rather than live plants, he seems to like the ones in the tank he's in now and if they get knocked over at some point when he grows bigger, easier to put back up or move. As far as how much decor, I was thinking of having quite a bit as he's smaller, then removing more as he gets bigger and needs more room. Does that sound like a good plan?
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Keep in mind.. as he gets bigger you aren't going to be wanting to stick your hand in there to rearrange anything.

So if you go with live plants, go with ones that won't need pruning (crypts, etc). Live plants may do better than fake though, the roots will grab on and hold, where the fake ones can just be pulled out if he brushes past them.

I would probably make him a nice driftwood cave, put some tall crypts in the background (no pruning and they don't need a ton of light) and maybe some short crypts and anubias in the front... Or you can go all fake and save on the big lighting systems hehe.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Its got two single strip lights, so only low lighting. I'm not really wanting to invest in higher lights for that big of a tank, either. :D Good point though, maybe I'll line the back wall and sides with some tall strands of stuff. Is it possible to make a cave big enough for a monster fish though? :) He's using the little pink rainbow slate cave right now but it won't be big enough for very long. That's the one thing I've been the most worried about, to be honest, providing a large enough cave for him to be comfortable and happy in.
Tina

kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

You could make a larger cave out of slate.
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

You can stack up a few chunks of driftwood, that's what I did in my 75 to make a big "cave" in the center.

Driftwood isn't cheap though. The store right by Brookfield square, in the same strip mall as Best Buy has a great selection of driftwood if you do go that route. I spent almost an hour there one day stacking pieces on top of each other until I found a design that was secure and looked nice.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Thanks for the ideas! Hmm.. some driftwood with moss attached, or maybe some slate with some silk plants siliconed on them? :D Well, I have a little time still for that part of it. I can't wait for them to get it home and start setting it up! Still have to empty out the 38 though and clean up and move the dining room table somewhere.
Tina

indie
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 4 x 1.25" Green Spotted Puffers
1 x Suvatti Puffer
2 x Figure 8 Puffers
Location (country): UK

Post by indie »

why not sand in that size tank?

hi boxermom, i'll also be having to think of ideas for setting up my fahaka tank. its currently cycling so have time to think.

i had planned on building a slate cave tho and maybe constructing some kind of planted bogwood cave.

the person who owns martha seems to have used a bit of pipe to create a cave, maybe thats an idea too.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

ITS HOME!! Amazingly, they managed to get everything into the Explorer in one trip! My older son who went along to help carry it almost had to be strapped to the roof, his seat was pushed all the way forward, but they got it all hone in one. :)

Its a huge tank and stand. It came with a big ice cooler full of 125 lbs. of gravel, and a big tote bucket overflowing with real rocks and plastic driftwood pieces and some plastic plants. I think I'll definitely get some tall Crypts or something for it though. Needs a good cleaning, but everything is in great shape.
Tina

DarkEntity
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Carinotetraodon Salivator
2 x Tetraodon Biocellatus
Location (country): Scotland

Post by DarkEntity »

Im sure "little Linus" will love it ;)
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Ok, I'm now thoroughly covered in frontosa poop and water. :lol: He had a bunch of frontosas in the tank and he did warn me that he hadn't cleaned the filters in about 4 months. Holy cow, were they full of poo! But both the canister (PenPlax Cascade 1200) and the HOB (Emperor not sure which) are now clean. I also cleaned the tank, which wasn't bad at all, and am now just need to convince hubby to let me start setting it up tomorrow rather than next week (he thought it would take me longer to get it cleaned up).
Tina