Setting up a fahaka tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Boxer with reference to the power head question, I have two varialbe power heads at either end of the tank as well as the internal built in. This works well as it helps curculate water around the tank without being too fast when set low and can be turned up if another part of the filtering system breaks down. Also it helps to clear the water after a water change by turning them up. However running a UGF does hinder plant growth. I can advise on that too if that is what you plan to do :D
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

No UGFs in my tanks, not ever.

I'll be setting it up today after a trip to the LFS to pick up a few things. I'd like to change the background before I get it set up. It currently has a background consisting of a picture of large boulders - fine for a frontosa tank but I don't care for it much. I'm planning on something with lots of medium to dark blue. The gravel is indeed a river rock type gravel of a fairly large grade. Should work fine though. I also need another heater, as I don't believe the 200 watt that came with it is sufficient, and will be picking up a couple of packages of Biospira as well. And maybe a couple more ADFs for my other tank where I can hopefully get them to stay alive. Then I'll come home and start moving the residents out of the 38g tank and tearing it down. Hubby is going to start setting it up this evening when he gets home and can shim as needed. Then the bucket lugging begins! :D
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
DarkEntity
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Carinotetraodon Salivator
2 x Tetraodon Biocellatus
Location (country): Scotland

Post by DarkEntity »

The bucket lugging is the best bit, becuase you know the bit after is water and aquascaping time then fishy ;)
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

Sounds like things are moving along smoothly. It must be so fun setting up such a large tank (except for the bucket lugging part!).

I'm anxiously waiting to see the final product! :)
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Well I'm hoping a 300w and a 200w heaters will do for now. The LFS had 250w heaters but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $49 for them when I can get them online for under $20! Did get a nice background, but I'm debating whether to use the solid blue or the blue planted scape sides. I was originally planning on a solid color but knowing that eventually the tank won't have much decor in it, I'm sorta leaning towards the planted scape now.

I also bought a 90g packet of Biospira and a 30g packet, 100 feeder guppy babies and 50 feeder shrimp to help get the cycle going. I'd like it fully established before putting him in there. I'm also thinking of sectioning off 1/3rd of it or so for Justin temporarily for a couple of months while I get rid of some of the other fish, replace one of the 29s with the 38 and put him in there.

The LFS now has two palembang puffers. They changed the labels from "long nose puffer" to "palembang puffer - PREDATORY" :D
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

Sounds like its moving along fast, Boxer. Cant wai to see the end result. I think the background issue isn't such a big deal, you can go with th eone colura when the tank is busy and change as you strip the tank down. Have you though of making your own?
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

No, I have neither the skills nor the inclination to make my own background, and its a royal PITA to change the background on a large tank once its set up and against the wall. I'm just going to go with the planted background.

Slight change of plans though. We're not going to be pulling down the 38 afterall, but will be taking down the 29 that Justin's in, as the wall where his tank sits appears to be the only one directly over enough supporting beams to hold that large of a tank. Which makes things a little easier.
Tina

saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

you mean the 125g isn't gong on a slab?
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

A slab?
Tina