I think i lost an oto to puffer attack.

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Can you find any in your local LFS/LPSes?
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

no idea. I never looked since the clear amonia fishless cycle works so well if you have the time and its well, kinda free.

i dont have the substrate yet and probably wont till the mid to late january. Soooo....as soon as i am done leak testing the 20g, i'll get the cycle started.

Until then i am going to see if i keep th epuff well fed if she stays non-violent.
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

update:

the 20g sat for 3 days with no leaking so i decided to set it up tonight. it is now up and cycling. My coralife freshwater aqualight arrives tomorow.
I am a bit concerned about the stand however. It appears to be an all-glass MDF stand(or fiberboard) with a black lacquor finish and gold handle. it camewith a 15g.

It looks to be in good condition and looks exactly like the stand shown on the webpage.
http://www.all-glass.com/products/stands/index.html

I dont like the idea of not having a sturdy solid wood frame underneath the tank like my 10g. Its strong and visually looks almost new, but it was in my boss's basement and could have absorbed some moisture possibly compromising its strength?

Should i even be worrying about it or should i consider building myself a new stand?
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Almost all of my big tanks are on AGA stands, including both of my 55s, a 38 and two 29s. They're fine.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

I'm sure its fine, that's what most of the smaller tank stands are made of. I have a couple 29 stands of that material.

Now when my bf builds me a stand, it takes several adults to move the sucker.. he starts calculating all kinds of ratios and things and builds it strong enough to hold an elephant!
saynever
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by saynever »

i was just concerned because the 20g tall seems rather high for the footprint, and seems to me to be top heavy.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Don't bump into it, that's for sure!

I know my 29 gallon iron stands are very unstable if I don't have a second tank on the lower shelf to hold it down. The wood ones are more stable, but yeah, keep it out of traffic areas and don't let little kids climb on them!