Baileyi Puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: M. baileyi called Esau

Baileyi Puffer

Post by messy_da_legend »

Ive got the chance to get one of these in the next week! Very expensive though! Does anyone know any more in depth info on them than is in the pufferpedia?

What fish does it eat, ect, and general care info?

I have a fully cycled 25g tank with fluval 205, and I just need more info on the setup and maintenance

Thanks
Last edited by messy_da_legend on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

T.baileyi, aka hairy puffer. Lovely things. Very personable and friendly, lurkers, not much activity unless its feeding time, great hunters, mine get snails and shell-on shrimp primarily, once in awhile some earthworms. Mine are about full grown and eat every 3 days. Gigantic poop factories, of course, so the substrate needs to be cleaned extremely well on a weekly basis. I have two in a 55g tank with a divider between them. Oh, and they are very aggressive and shouldn't be kept with anything else, IMO. Just make sure the tank is completely cycled first. If you use Biospira, I would suggest using a double dose and using some other fish for a few days until its completely established before adding the puffer.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Thanks Boxermom!

The tank is completely cycled, its been running for a month and a bit so far w/ small fish. The Puffer would be on its own if i get it.

So care-wise, they arent too different from most other puffers? Does it need enough sand to be buried like other lurker puffers or will it just rest on top of the sand?? Do they have a preferance for hard/soft water?
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Nope, not a burrower so gravel is fine. I have pea gravel in my tank. They do need a cave-type structure and heavily planted tank (silk or live is what I recommend). Dunno about water preference but I have fairly hard water with a pH of 7.8 and they're doing quite well. Care-wise, pretty much the same as other lurkers.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Ta Muchly!

Thanks very much for your help! Now Ive just got to decide whether to spend £90 on one fish. Its either the Baileyi or the Suvattii to choose from and the suvattii is more than 50% cheaper. The uncommonness of the Baileyi is too appealing though
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

That's why its so pricey. :) Pretty close to what they were asking for mine. I managed to talk them down a little because they'd had them for several months and no one else showed any interest, and they knew I would know how to take care of them. Sometimes it helps being friendly with the staff of the LFS. :)
Tina

messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

hehe Shame I dont know any staff at this store... but I am at the countrys best fish-college (Sparsholt) !! I'm on the ornamental fish course at the moment so that might help...... hehe
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

messy_da_legend wrote:but I am at the countrys best fish-college (Sparsholt) !! I'm on the ornamental fish course at the moment so that might help...... hehe
I'm sure if I knew what any of that meant, I'd be properly impressed. :)
Tina

messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

but I am at the countrys best fish-college (Sparsholt) !! I'm on the ornamental fish course at the moment so that might help...... hehe
As in might help me to get a discount! No harm in trying anyway!
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Fella
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Fella »

How is that course as sparsholt? Is it relatively tricky, and is do you need formal qualifications to attend?

Sorry for railroading the thread!
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

erm the 11 page plant propagation assignment ive just done was helluva hard! but other than that its all good! Started the breeding project doing paradise fish this week which is good.

If you come straight form school you need 4 GCSEs at C, but if your an adult learner I think you only need references.
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Fella
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Fella »

messy_da_legend wrote:erm the 11 page plant propagation assignment ive just done was helluva hard! but other than that its all good! Started the breeding project doing paradise fish this week which is good.

If you come straight form school you need 4 GCSEs at C, but if your an adult learner I think you only need references.
Man, that sounds pretty tricky.

Does it have accomodation on site or do you have to commute?

I've been looking at doing it for a while.
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Im living in the on site accomodation, as commuting 4 hours form Ipswich doesnt appeal to me! :lol:

Theres quite a bit of work, but its not really that hard, its just the plant one was worse than most
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
sPuffalopagus
Dwarf Puffer

Post by sPuffalopagus »

Hi,

Just thought that since you are on such a course, why don't you do some research on the BIOTOPE of the Baileyi. I have done some myself as I am about to upgrade the tank that my Hammie is in.

What I have found is that the T.Baileyi comes primarily from the white water regions of the MEKONG River. There is not much field information about how they live in the rapids.

My guess is that they lurk in the eddies behind larger rocks and feed on opportunity. From whatever pictures I can gather of the BIOTOPE, my guess is that is it less planted, mostly rock and gravel. The river substrate consists of a mix of anything from largish stones (high flow areas) to sand (in low flow areas).

So I am about to embark on a setup that would introduce a certain degree of current flowing over a layout of rocks.

Hope this helps.
Jason
Ohhh... the Anticipation!!!

Hammie the Baileyi
Sunny the Abei
Nori the Fang
Kyuri and Hamachi the Female Irrubescos
Beetroot the Fahaka
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

Very helpful thanks.

That would go with what Woland has said.

He has mentioned that his baileyi has become more active since the introduction of a power head to increase water flow.

Am I correct Woland?
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image