Baileyi Puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: M. baileyi called Esau

Post by messy_da_legend »

Thank very much Jaosn, very useful info!!!

I'll look into the biotope on mongabay in a minute. I have just reserved the fish for next week so im excited now. It says on the tank that they are rare, but how rare are they exactly?
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

I'd classify them more as uncommon than rare. Seems like more people have them now.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Sorry for all the questions but I'm determined to get this right!

last question, are lurkers any different to feed than seekers? Obviously lurkers are less active so will they come up and feed the same as, for example, a GSP when you put food in?
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

HAHAHAHA, yes, they're pretty much the same. I even come anywhere near the tank and Lil is right there, skimming the surface of the water, waiting to eat even though she only gets fed every 3rd day. Stick a piece of shrimp in the tank (or anything else edible) and its gone in seconds. Phil doesn't pace for food but as soon as he hears the lid go up, he's right there, too. Then once they eat, they go back to laying around with bulging tummies.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Good good!!

Thanks for all your help. I pick him up on or before wednesday!! All excited now! :D
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
poolguyjason
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 Baby Fahaka

Post by poolguyjason »

Glad to hear that! Enjoy the puff :D
English George
Dwarf Puffer

Post by English George »

I have one of these at work and it's very active. Infact I saw another one when i was in Enfield the other day.

Unfortunatly they're only expensive if the shop knows what they are. They are coming in off a Thailand shipper very, very cheap so certain shops will bump up the price on them.

I'm sure you can haggle them down!
Once again, the four toothed fish has got me addicted.
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Infact I saw another one when i was in Enfield the other day.
Thats my one!! hehe :lol: I went there the other day and reserved it.

I wasnt going to say where it was in case anyone got there first but its reserved for me now! muhahaha! :twisted:

Well heres the tank that he's going into, and I was just going to make sure it was suitable! Its got a couple of good sized gouramis in it now until the puff arrives. 35US gal, silver sand, Echinodorus, Crypts and Vallisneria plants.
Sorry if these pics dont come out small enough but imagesquash didnt work for me :roll:

Baileyi Tank:
Quick one of my DP tank:
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

looks good!
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Cheers!

By the way, does anyone know the average lifespan of one of these puffers? just wondering, cause the one I'm getting must be nearly full grown at 3" (excluding tail)

Oh and can you feed them live fish, as it says in the puffpedia that they are piscivores? I noticed in the food article it says thats bad for them?

Going to pick him up today and hopefullly get a work experience placement at the same time. If Im not happy with him, theres always some suvatti, palembang or miurus which they have in stock!
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

I would say they get a lot larger than that myself.
Image Some call it a product of a mis-spent youth, I call it Rock n Roll ! Image
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer

Shows how good (or not) my maths is then!! pufferpedia says 12cm, so around 5" ish? lol I was wrong :roll:
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Woland
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1 X Tetraodon nigroviridis, 1 X Monotrete palembangensis.
Location (country): Norway

Post by Woland »

Sources which tends to be well informed insists that a 30cm+ dead specimen was seen at an African Museum...

We know very little about T. baileyi.
Time will tell.
Regards

Woland
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

Both of mine are about 3.5-4" and haven't grown noticeably since I got them. They're fed well and have plenty of room so stunting shouldn't be an issue. Dunno how fast they grow, but mine seem to be close to full size I'm guessing.

Yes, its okay to feed them live fish occasionally but I don't use them as a staple, more as an occasional treat. Livebearers are healthier than rosy reds or goldfish according to nmonks. I use mostly guppies and mollies for treats, for both them and my palembang.
Tina

Rocker
Former Staff Member

Post by Rocker »

Yep the one I saw was nearly a foot long.