About the Tetradon Schoutedeni

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
puffdaddy
Puffer Fry

About the Tetradon Schoutedeni

Post by puffdaddy »

hi,

i am new to pufferfish keeping, but i have been keeping freshwater fish for 6 years now. I need some gerneral info on Tetradon Schoutedeni, or the lepard puffer. I saw some at petco for $5 :shock: yeah, so i decided to get some. the pecto person said, they nip fins, and has to be solitary, but i douted this after a breif research and found out that they are peacful if fed well. I clue that hinted me to do research on my own was, petco was saying that it was fin nipper and very agressive and yet they kept them in the same tank with $10 rainbowfish :shock: WTF?!!. something is fishy.

please give more info about theh puffer.

i plan to include this beast in a community tank with BLACK tetras, and silver dollars. i hope my black tetras won't whoop the pufffers puffy butt, my reading goes the opposite. but my black teras are territoryal and attack one and another.

thanks,
PUFFF daddy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
YBeNormal
Former Staff Member

Post by YBeNormal »

Don't worry, "Puffers puffy butt" won't take too many whoopin's from the likes of that crowd. :lol:
puffdaddy
Puffer Fry

Post by puffdaddy »

^^^

dude are u serious or just joking, it looks really weak, i don't want it to destory my community tank.

EDIT:

thanks for the link PUFFERPUNK, it seems they are really mean, but seriously? i was afrid my fish would destory it, not teh other way around, but the black tetras are prety bad in my tank. The puffer looks so delicate and small.

what kind of fish did u have in your community tank when you found the mistake of buyin ght puffer for it?

i been teh the petco twice now just staring at them, but no sign of agression wat so ever..... just swiming up and down teh tank wall.
thanks
YBeNormal
Former Staff Member

Post by YBeNormal »

I bought two GSPs about 1" long and, not knowing better, dumped them in a tank with a 3' Gourami, two Corys and assorted other FW fish. It took less than 10 minutes for them to start chasing the Gourami and the other fish around the tank and for me to decide that GSPs were not good candidates for the community tank. Research on this forum confirmed my suspicions.

he GSPs are now happy in their own 55-gallon BW tank.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Well, every puffer has a differnt personality but when I tried putting a SAP (south american puffer, one of the relatively "mild mannered" puffers) in with my black skirt tetras, it only lasted a couple of days before I had to save the tetras. As he's grown, he's only gotten more aggressive.

I'd think a bigger problem is that you are trying to keep a GSP in freshwater. That is not good for them, it really reduces their lifespan and makes them more vunerable to disease by reducing their immune system. They need higher end brackish water (made with marine salt, not aquarium salt) and eventually need full marine conditions.

Definately do more research, especially on this forum. And when someone tells you they can survive in freshwater, ask them how long they kept them alive. Personally, I'd rather listen to someone who gets their puffers to live and grow to full size over several years, not jsut a few months, which is what most puffers live when not kept in the correct conditions.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It was a pretty hardy tank. Mostly rainbows, corys, synodontis & plecos. In addition, your puffer is a BW fish that will require even more salty conditions as it matures. It absolutely does not belong in a FW community tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

puffdaddy
Puffer Fry

Post by puffdaddy »

BTW:

belive it or not, the ones at petco is A CENTRAL AFRICAN CONGO PUFFER, NOT/NOT/NOT a spoted puffer, which is a nigroviridis, the one i am talking about it actually IMPORTED LEPAROD PUFFER OF Tetradon Schoutedeni. there is a spot difference, this one has some rings and not greens and other colors to teh basic yellow.

know anything about this species??

btw: only $5
Last edited by puffdaddy on Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
puffdaddy
Puffer Fry

Post by puffdaddy »

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishin ... schout.htm

look at wat it says about the compatibilty. its peaceful.

supports my evidneice that these puffers were just minding there own bussiness, when ion teh same tank with some rainbows at petco.

ALSO

http://www.petco.com/caresheets/fish/Puffer.pdf
Last edited by puffdaddy on Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Jayhawk »

I know T. schoutedeni is supposedly impossible to find in the US market, but this is the second report of Petco carrying them with labels claiming they really are the African puffer and not GSPs.

Any chance Petco really has a source for them? They've allegedly been available in the past, and I'd hate for us to discount them as GSPs if they're actually FW fish.

Eric
puffdaddy
Puffer Fry

Post by puffdaddy »

the petco guys didnt' even have a price or tag for these guys, aparrently i was the first one to ask about them since they arrived teh toher day. the guy had to call some one to obtian the name and price... lepard puffer, 4.99.

With the $5 price tag it could go either ways: Petco mistaken the congo puffer with the GSp, and it is acutally GSP, so the price is only $5. OR its actually a congo, but teh suplier... who ever that is, thinks nothing of it an only charges petco like $3.

i need sllep get make tomarrow good night
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If this fish was found in the US, it would be worth a couple of hundred dollars, not $5. Petco has them labled wrong, I am sure. They haven't been seen around here for over 20 years. The real way to tell is they will have visible long spines along their belly. Spots, rings, bodyshape, snout shape, eye placement is no way to tell.