Normal level of aggression for pea puffers?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
polychromeedge
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Normal level of aggression for pea puffers?

Post by polychromeedge »

In your experience, what’s a normal level of aggression in a new shoal of pea puffers? I added six to a 20 gallon a few days ago. It’s heavily planted with large rocks and driftwood. I believe I have two males and four females. The first couple of days they pretty much all stuck close together and were very peaceful. Today, one of the males has decided the entire left side of the tank is his. He’s violently chasing any of the others that come near his area and he’s gotten a couple bites in. He’s startled some and went after them so fast that they ran into the glass. It doesn’t seem to be stopping them from going over to that side though but he’ll also chase them around the whole tank.

Is this typical behavior that should eventually level out once they’ve settled in? Or at what point do I call it and put him in a solo tank? I don’t want any of the others to be hurt but I also don’t want to create a situation where I remove him and another one takes on his role.

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Normal level of aggression for pea puffers?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Typical behavior for any puffer, I'm afraid... You just never know what you're gonna get. It may just be this 1 fish who's a bully.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"