Fahaka Scared/Hiding

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Dragon76
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Fahaka Scared/Hiding

Post by Dragon76 »

So I got my Fahaka puffer “Wally” in March of 2020 he was maybe 1in. long he is currently about 5in. I did the de-worming according to Cory at aquarium CO-OP When I got him he was so happy very good appetite, he would swim back and forth in the tank when he seen me walk in. The past 6 months however has been a downward spiral. He now hides all day and is scared to death of me. The past 2 weeks he will barely come out to eat his favorite foods. I don’t know what to do. It’s getting worse every week. I haven’t changed anything in the tank. He is in a 125g by himself.PH 7.4 Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite 0 Temp stays 77-78 degrees. I have rams horn, and Mystery snail breeder tanks. Which he loves! He also has krill, and some bloodworms. I’ve tried turning the lighting down, which helped a little. But he is so scared of everyone. I don’t know what to do. Please help! I love this little guy!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka Scared/Hiding

Post by Pufferpunk »

How is your nitrate 0? How long ago was he moved to the 125? How heavily decorated is the tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Dragon76
Puffer Fry

Post by Dragon76 »

Sorry, the Nitrate is between 5-10 I purchased the 125 gallon just for Wally. He’s been in it since I got him last year. The tank has lots of hiding places, Plants, Rocks, Driftwood, and a cave that he recently started staying in all day. He will come out around 9:00 pm every night before bedtime. I can walk slowly to the tank and he gets scared. I can turn the lights off during the day and he still won’t come out. He seems stressed when he does come out at night, swimming back and forth against the sides of the tank.It’s pretty quiet here, I don’t have children. I don’t know why he became so agitated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

My last fahaka lived to 19 years & was very personable.
New guy acts just like yours & I've had him over a year.
Be careful feeding him krill, it is not a healthy food for him & can cause lockjaw.
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Dragon76
Puffer Fry

Post by Dragon76 »

Ok thanks for the reply. I wasn’t sure if this is normal behavior for his age? He is probably a year and a half old. I done a lot of research before I got him and I’ve heard they are very personable. I turned the lights off for 2 days straight and he has came out and eating....I really hope he comes around and is happy!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fahakas are the moodiest of all puffers!