Turned out to be an Arrowhead

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
davisc1293
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Turned out to be an Arrowhead

Post by davisc1293 »

My LFS sold me a roughly 3" "king Kong Puffer" for $120 and told me they were among the least aggressive of the puffers and I might have luck with it in my 55 gallon community tank, but did not recommend it. So I cant fault them when it ate my Geophagus despite being roughly the same size. I have since moved him in with my Very large Green Terror and medium sized Jack Dempsey but since getting him I have learned that he is most likely an Arrowhead and not a king Kong and while there is no aggression yet towards the Jack Dempsey even when it is practically sitting on the puffer, it is a concern for the future.

So for starters how bad did my LFS take me for? I know $120 is a lot for any puffer but are king Kong (dragon) puffers more rare/valuable then the Arrowhead? I was especially disappointed when I found out he was not as advertised but that does not change the fact he is an extremely cool fish. Im just looking for any any information you guys can provide.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Turned out to be an Arrowhead

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, the Dragon puffer is much more $$$ than an Arrowhead. Although, both are piscivores & must not be kept in the same tank as their food. Eventually, it will bite chunks out of ALL your fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
davisc1293
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by davisc1293 »

Thank you, I have since moved him into his own long tank to avoid any problems with the Jack Dempsey or Green Terror. Being a new tank I added the sponge filter from its previous tank to possibly help with beneficial bacteria. I also put a HOB filter and and internal UV. Hes only been in the tank a little over 24 hours and he seems to have a slight white film on parts of his body, almost as if his skin is peeling. along with hazy eyes.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Parameters? Do a large WC & add Tetra Safestart directly into the new filter.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"