Irrubesco Tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
LilBrick300k
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Deep South

Irrubesco Tank

Post by LilBrick300k »

Hello all,
I currently have a 29 gallon planted tank with 3 Irrubescos (2 male, 1 female), 4 Shelfordii Kuhli loaches, and about 10 ghost shrimp. This is my first endeavor in fish keeping, but being a college student, this is the right choice of pet for me at the time. Three weeks in, I would say its going pretty well. I am looking for recommendations for a few more potential tank mates. I selected Irrubescos after much consideration, as they seem to be the most mellow of the dwarf puffers, and so far that has been the case. I haven't seen any aggression other than 1 of the males chasing another, but that is all. They couldn't care less about any of the other tank mates, and sometimes the ghost shrimp will swim to the top of the water column and feed with/crawl on the puffers. In fact, the only incident I have encountered was a user error: I put a recently glued anubias in the tank too soon, and a curious puffer took a bite of the super glue. All this being said, I want to put just a few more peaceful fish in the tank, perhaps 4 more of another species of kuhli, an algae eater, and/or another dither fish. Looking for any suggestions. Thank you!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Irrubesco Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome! Irrubescos do best in pairs, so I'd look for another female. Also, I wouldn't expect tank mates to last long with them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"