Pea puffers with dario dario?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Elbaid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Pea puffers with dario dario?

Post by Elbaid »

Hello puffer fans,

I'm looking into relatively "local" mates for a future big tank with a large group of peas.

I was thinking some dario darios even if I can't find any lady dario. Would it be a good idea...? Has anyone here tried a group of peas with a harem of Dario dario?

And what about other badis?

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pea puffers with dario dario?

Post by Pufferpunk »

How large is the tank? DPs are serious fin-nippers. With a LOT of cover of live plants, you could possibly keep other fish in there. I have luck with otocinclus & khuli loaches. Also small shrimp species (believe it or not).
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Elbaid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Re: Pea puffers with dario dario?

Post by Elbaid »

I already have several communities with DPs, I was more curious about the behavior of a breeding group of Dario dario.
Only fish that ended up a little bullied by peas were pygmy cories. But no real damage besides stress.
Shrimp are always cool in puffer tanks. They only eat baby shrimplets, very rarely an adult.

I wouldn't try less than 120l, maybe 200, with 5/6 peas, mostly females.
I'm trying to find relatively local species (local to the dps) that wouldn't ravage the spawns (my khuli are egg munchers and male dps don't seem to think they need to protect their eggs from them).