Dragon puffer or hairy puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Bradb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Dragon puffer or hairy puffer

Post by Bradb »

New to the forum, just stumbled across it as I have recently caught puffer fever.

Currently I’ve got a 125 gallon brackish tank with archers, monos, scats, knight gobies, two spotted puffer and two figure 8’s.

A second 75 gallon tank with a 1.5” fahaka and a pictus catfish (plans to move to a 125 when he gets larger).

The local fish store just got some dragon puffers and a hairy puffer in. I’ve got a 40 gallon breeder that I am setting up and debating between the two. The hairy intrigues me, but is $120. The dragons are only $40. I was thinking about attempting to get a pair of the dragons but was curious what people’s experience was with housing two of them together, and further more, how to sex them?

Or are hairy’s just cooler and I should get one of those?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dragon puffer or hairy puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's a LOT for the Hairy, is it huge? Mine is the coolest fish ever but you're probably not going to see much of either.

Please do consider removing the F8s to a different tank. Your other BW fish will prefer SW as adults & will eventually bully the smaller F8s. F8s prefer a SG of 1.013-5. You could keep the knight gobies with them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"