Hairy Puffer Colour Changes

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
pdiddy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Singapore

Hairy Puffer Colour Changes

Post by pdiddy »

Hi there! New to the world of pufferfish and just got a hairy puffer. I’ve read that they change colours based on their mood, and just watched my hairy turn from a dark muddy brown to a pale pink before my very eyes.

I was wondering if then turning lighter is a sign of stress or being in a good mood?

Also I know they are pretty sensitive to water parameters. At the moment Ammonia and Nitrate are undetectable but Nitrates are up between 40-80ppm (using API). it’s quite hard to tell the difference between the 2 reds, but all I know is that it showed red. It spiked up pretty fast even though I just did a water change 3 days ago, and prior to that once a week. Anyway, this seems pretty high and just wondering what the cause might be.

Any help is appreciated!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hairy Puffer Colour Changes

Post by Pufferpunk »

This species is one of the most adept at camouflage & will change shades of color & pattern at will. Please post tank size, water change schedule & how exactly the tank was cycled.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pdiddy
Puffer Fry

Post by pdiddy »

Hi Pufferpunk!

Thanks for the reply :D Tank size 60 gallons (upgrading to a bigger one once I move house), and I regularly do water changes once a week.

Cycled with a raw shrimp as I couldn’t find any pure ammonia, and didn’t have an existing filter to put in either. Have been testing the water daily since I got my hairy a week ago just to monitor the parameters. Once it spiked I did a 20% water change to try and manage it, but hope I didn’t stress the fish out! This water change was done just 3 days after a regular weekly one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

60g is certainly large enough for this species. Are you thoroughly stirring the substrate before each WC?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

pdiddy
Puffer Fry

Post by pdiddy »

Took awhile to check back because was swamped with work! I did manage to go out and buy some water lettuce, hoping that they'll soak up the nitrates in the water.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What's the nitrate level of your tap water?