Fahaka, tank mates( food reserves)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Pitbullpuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Fahaka, tank mates( food reserves)

Post by Pitbullpuff »

Hi All,

I myself just picked up a baby 2” motha fahaka. 220 gallon 3 fx6 filters, established tank with lots of rams and pond snails,(unfortunately some mts I’ve tried to get rid of. I have separate breed tank for snails and scuds/shrimp. Now my question is what will survive the longest that can live with him? Only answers I ever find is “Nothing”. I had 2 figure 8’s with silver moons, archers and dragon goby at one time with no issues. Now the fahaka is a way bigger fish true, so my thoughts are cheap fish that restocking if he likes to eat is no biggie, Neon tetra, danio the smaller ones now as I’m sure the large would bully him, some tetras, guppies, maybe mollies, sword tail. Neon tetra I know are slow and would get picked off the fastest, but what about when he/she is 1’ would it even bother with a crumb sized snack? If anyone with experience with fahaka and dither fish, not so much larger fish as I feel it takes away from there interactions with you, could chime in I’d appreciate it, Cheers.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka, tank mates( food reserves)

Post by Pufferpunk »

99% of fahakas are vicious killers. I had one for 19 years that allowed all sorts of tank mates, although there were a few of them he just didn't take a liking to & killed them. It is very rare to find a fahaka like that. My new guy killed every single tiger barb I had with him, even though they were the same size as him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pitbullpuff
Puffer Fry

Post by Pitbullpuff »

19 years old! That’s awesome!! that must have been a sad day, they are like water puppies. What did work? if you don’t mind me asking, I know every fish has a different personality, I had lots of Red Devils at one time. Some would kill everything and some would tolerate almost anything, it’s always a gamble, I guess mostly I want to make sure no fish will harm puffer if he eats it, disease wise, i will never buy feeders, so maybe danios and killi would be fast enough to keep him entertained and them alive longer. It’s 100% the puffers tank. Just trying to find info but like I said doesn’t seem to be much on food reserves that last.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think it's a matter of anything "working". Just have to get the right puffer. I'm raising the new guy the exact same way & he'll kill anything in his tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pitbullpuff
Puffer Fry

Post by Pitbullpuff »

Hi pufferpunk,

Thanks for the input, I guess I won’t know until I try, but to be honest I won’t be that disappointed if it doesn’t work , they are an amazing fish on their own. And live a good amount of time.

Cheers
Pitbullpuff
Puffer Fry

Post by Pitbullpuff »

Hi pufferpunk,

Just figured I’d give update, currently puffer is almost at the 7” mark, was feeding daily and now am starting every second day, to eventually every 3-4 days closer to adulthood. Live food - Red claw crabs, mystery snails, crawfish, Frozen food- shrimp, krill, blood worms. I have about 18 tiger barbs with various colours except albino, 8 Golden barbs, 5 cherry barbs, bristlenose pleco, since June all are good, I tried Serpa tetra, Out of 6 one is left, 4 albino tiger barbs gone, he never liked them. Other then that he doesn’t seem interested in fish unless you add anything to the tank at this point he will just kill, like the killifish I tried to add last week.

Cheers
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks for the update. It seems you are keeping him well fed & he'll just pick off his tankmates as he chooses.