New pea puffer/dwarf puffer set up advice?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
pattersonbear
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Minnesota

New pea puffer/dwarf puffer set up advice?

Post by pattersonbear »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but not new to fishkeeping. Sorry, long post ahead. Skip to the end for a summary
I have always wanted a pea puffer and I think I am going to set up a tank now. It is a five gallon tank (Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon kit) and a preset heater for 78 degrees. I posted this on fishore as well but I didn't get a response. What do I need to know? I am planning on fishless cycling, and establishing a pest snail colony in the tank before I put the puffer in. It will be a single puffer. I am using gravel and fake plants ad overdecorating, and I will do large weekly water changes. I am planning on feeding mainly freeze dried foods if possible (bloodworms, mysis and daphnia), and maybe setting up a vinegar eel culture. What am I missing? Are they hard to keep? What should I know before starting?

Summary: I want to set up a single pea puffer in a five gallon. What do I need to know?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New pea puffer/dwarf puffer set up advice?

Post by Pufferpunk »

They are extremely easy to keep, although mine only eat live food. Spoiled brats!
Here's some great info on them!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/pufferf ... 8359027398
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"