Body Count: 2 - Dwarf Puffer Extremely Aggressive

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
ogknotorious
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Body Count: 2 - Dwarf Puffer Extremely Aggressive

Post by ogknotorious »

I purchased 3 dwarf puffers 3 weeks ago. They are in a 20 long (species only) with a large piece of spider wood and decently planted. At the store, the three were swimming together so I took them home. 1 week later the smallest one was getting chased and eventually stopped eating and passed. The other two swam together for the next week. Last night I noticed the fin on one was nipped. I rearranged decorations and woke up this morning to see the other fin nipped. He/she passed just now. The aggressor is dark in color, although no other visible male traits. I went out to LFS and purchased two other puffers who are lighter in color and has some small spots, although they are still too young to positively sex. The aggressor was curious at first, chased a tiny bit but now seems disinterested. He is now going around biting off the antennas of the ~10 ramshorns I have in the tank.

My question is: Should I try and bring him into the LFS for another, or continue observing?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Body Count: 2 - Dwarf Puffer Extremely Aggressive

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's totally your choice.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ogknotorious
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by ogknotorious »

Thanks for the reply...this is normal behavior though? To nip both fins and ultimately kill the other? As well as initially getting along to aggressive?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes but make sure that tank is large enough for each to retreat from the other & lote of broken lines of sight.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"