Throwing up SAP/how to tell if healthy?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Throwing up SAP/how to tell if healthy?

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Hello,

I have three SAP’s in a 28g with 8 bleeding heart Tetra’s and a bristlenose pleco. They all have gotten along fin so far as far as I can tell, but I have a few questions/a conundrum. A few days ago, I decided to clip their teeth right after doing their water change. I was very nervous about it for some reason (I had done it already 3 times) but felt like I had to do it because one of the puffers’ teeth were getting very long and my sister had offered to help. I wasn’t sure how much MS 222 to use (I couldn’t remember how I figured it out in the past either..) so I used a very small amount, thinking better safe than sorry, although it was probably too small. I also used a few punches of baking soda and 8 cups of water. The first puffer to go in began to swim around immediately and was not slowing down as quickly as I was used to. He also was skimming the water surface with his nose a lot. After this went on for a while, I began to feel afraid I’d put too littleness in so I added a small pinch more, as well as a pinch of baking soda. Immediately, the puffer began to swim erratically out and proceeded to “Throw up”, ejaculating several spurts if mushy brown stuff, a small snail shell, and a piece of the fluval eco terra stratum.. I couldn’t go forward at that point and transferred him right away back to fresh water and ended up putting off the tooth clipping till today.
Before doing it today, I did more research and ended up adding 1/8 tsp MS 222 to 8 cups of their water, no baking soda. All the puffers did fine, except for one afterwards (in the tank), began throwing up again (much less this time and no large chunks) and took longer than the other two to fan his dorsal fin out. He also positions himself facing the output of the filter for a long time.

Does anyone have any experience with throwing up puffers here? I’m not sure if he is sensitive to MS222, it’s just the stress of the whole experience, or if he might not be very healthy generally speaking to begin with. I give the puffers weekly water changes, this week two already because I have become more concerned about their water quality. The Nitrates are at 40ppm currently and Ammonia and Nitrites are 0. Is 40 too high for puffers?

Appearance wise their bellies are white, their bodies are a little muddled looking in some places, without as clearly defined colors and stripes as I think is probably best (I’m not entirely sure) and their tails have some darker streaks/coloring on them.. They also have small dark specks around their mouths and faces and sometimes their colors and stripes become blanched and paler looking.

I will try to attach some pictures but i’m not sure how. Also, sorry for the longer post. Any and all help is appreciated!! About to do a water change now.. :)
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Re: Throwing up SAP/how to tell if healthy?

Post by Pennellapuffer »

C980B53E-B25D-44E8-A9B4-E826FE3F4CC5.jpeg
526BDB85-3676-464C-AAE5-AC55850DD7B4.jpeg
29C8CD10-93CB-4726-B323-E94FB6DC0737.jpeg
46EC644A-A678-485E-90D2-0596283A1FC4.jpeg
17515860-4573-4312-8BDE-D6CA78FA9D19.jpeg
712D3EF1-F9FC-475A-B612-4E6129AFF75E.jpeg
5BBB9003-1046-44CB-A295-3E2EC0479576.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Why baking soda? I wouldn't be guestimating a tranq!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

I knew from doing it previously about how much it was and guesstimated lower, but probably too much lower and I had no idea too little could have negative effects as well... The article I referenced said baking soda would help neutralize the acidity the MS222 adds to the water, but I didn’t use baking soda the second time. Based on the pictures, does the puffer look unhealthy/unusual? If he can be healthier I’d like to learn what’s i can do to get him there.. Also, is it unusual for a puffer to throw up under stress?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

He looks fine but with the short time they're in the tranq, I wouldn't worry much about adding anything else.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

What about the throwing up part? Is that normal?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It could definitely be from stress. Just like your Dr wants you to fast before any surgeries, same for the fish.

Pennellapuffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Pennellapuffer »

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind for the next time :) :)