New to planted aquascape and puffers looking for some advice and hello

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
PufferInitiate
Puffer Fry
Location (country): new york, ny

New to planted aquascape and puffers looking for some advice and hello

Post by PufferInitiate »

Hi,
I recently was gifted a fluval spec 5 gallon.
I planted it with a mixture of fluorite black, organic soil and fluval stratum, as well as some red clay pot chips.
Local water PH is 6.5-7 and it is softening in the tank to about 6.4-6.6 , tank will be 78
Rocks are manhattan schist high in iron and low in heavy metals, growing red alichee, asian ambulia and salvinia floating as well as some moss balls will put some more mosses on rocks, and cover plant in the foreground when my tweezers arrive.
I hope to add a pea puffer, if possible a male and female or two femalss. If not, something that might be compatible with the puffer because I think one puffer won't be enough bioload to support a good planted tank.
tank inicial rendition.jpg
I'm a little concerned about my low PH, and that the pea puffers at the store are looking rough, many are missing part of their dorsal fins. That said I did not observe them nipping each other. They are also very small in the store, under 1 inch. Any ideas please let me know thanks
Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to planted aquascape and puffers looking for some advice and hello

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Lovely tank! Unfortunately, with all that's in there, there's really room for only 1 DP. Stocking is suggested at 5g/puffer anyway.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"