Dwarf Puffer Aquascape Paradise

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Boffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Danmark

Dwarf Puffer Aquascape Paradise

Post by Boffer »

I want a big 450 liters Non co2 dwarf puffer aquascape Paradise, whit maby 10 dwarf puffer fish, and want to make it look like this whit stone wood, and moss and som plants, and make some caves, like this guy have done ind a small scale:
https://youtu.be/fyMYlYQ92Eo?t=565

And build some rocks like this : https://ibb.co/2qGdXkk and https://ibb.co/yRvrKsv

I will buy this filter unimax 700, it can hold 11 kg bio mass, and have 1700 liters flow per hours, not to much flow just like the puffer fish like it, i will fill it up whit biohome, It will take the animoark, nitrit, and nitrat down, so I don’t have to water changes that often.

I will Fertilize whit this all around fertilizer Tropica Premium Nutrition :
https://www.aquasabi.com/Tropica-Premium-Nutrition

I wont use easy-life easycarbo, and other chemicals becrues it has glutaraldehyde in it, dont want to take the risk it might have off toxicity.

Is this possible in such big tank? And will the puffer fish bee happy?
But my main concern is algae, can i hold back algae, in that big tank and this setup ? :
- if i have low light 6 hours a day
- no Direct syn light
- Fertilize every week
- my filter can takeaway animoark, nitrit, and nitrat
- clean every week, and water changes every 2 week.
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: Dwarf Puffer Aquascape Paradise

Post by livebearerlove »

Where are you from? Difficult to read when things are only spelled phonetically, etc. I have a puffer in a planted aquascape- ensure your cave is removable as detritus will certainly pile up in there- puffers are messy eaters and that filter will push it around until it finds a stopping point (like a cave).

Water changes every 2 weeks is not enough. I am a planted tank enthusiast- but it sounds like you never had a planted tank before?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

He's from Denmark, might be a translation app misspelling.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 am He's from Denmark, might be a translation app misspelling.
Off topic: ... I realized you are a female from SC. Brilliant! (there are not many females in the fish world- I think most of us are scientists who happen to fall on this hobby).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, there are plenty of us!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Boffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Boffer »

livebearerlove wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am Where are you from? Difficult to read when things are only spelled phonetically, etc. I have a puffer in a planted aquascape- ensure your cave is removable as detritus will certainly pile up in there- puffers are messy eaters and that filter will push it around until it finds a stopping point (like a cave).

Water changes every 2 weeks is not enough. I am a planted tank enthusiast- but it sounds like you never had a planted tank before?
Thanks for the answer, yes im from denmark, and sorry for my spelling, i will make 2 caves and i see how it will find a stopping point, maby i could suck it out when I water change, because I would not be able to move the cave.

How about algae do you have problems whit what i your planted tank whit the puffer fish?
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Boffer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:14 am
Thanks for the answer, yes im from denmark, and sorry for my spelling, i will make 2 caves and i see how it will find a stopping point, maby i could suck it out when I water change, because I would not be able to move the cave.

How about algae do you have problems whit what i your planted tank whit the puffer fish?
No problem for the spelling :)
I dont have algae issues in my tank. But I carefully selected plants (like hornwort which helps remove nitrates) and matched it with lighting. I do maybe.... 3, 10% water change a week, and never overfeed. I do use a 'liquid' carbon as they call it (excel) dosed at half the recommended dose if it starts to occur. - I however ensure that the filter is adequate. But also that I have 'algae eaters' (which can be anything from an Otto to shrimp).

You can get a medical siphon that has a 'curve' to it. Otherwise getting in the cave is nearly impossible. (I was an aquscaper before I had a pufferfish). and even then it caused me issues- lol.
Boffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Boffer »

I want to fertilize whit liquid' carbon, but are afraid what it is toxic for me, in what i can read on the internet, there is no clear answer to how safe it is, and im working and sleeping in the same room that the aquarium will bee in, and if the water will evaporate in the room then maby it will not bee that healthy, but ho knows :/
I want algae eaters olso but does the puffer fish not eat the Otto and shrimps, pretty much any fish?
Good idea whit the medical siphon :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Evaporation is solved with weekly 50% water changes.

livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Boffer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 am I want to fertilize whit liquid' carbon, but are afraid what it is toxic for me, in what i can read on the internet, there is no clear answer to how safe it is, and im working and sleeping in the same room that the aquarium will bee in, and if the water will evaporate in the room then maby it will not bee that healthy, but ho knows :/
I want algae eaters olso but does the puffer fish not eat the Otto and shrimps, pretty much any fish?
It is more toxic to drive to the store in a car and breath in exhaust.... haha- 'liquid carbon' (as it is called) like Excel will not hurt you. You can google plantedtank dot net.... numerous very in depth conversations on Excel.... broken down into chemistry jargon (so heads up as its worse than legaleeze) in which I have been part of those discussions.

Depends on how hungry your puffer is.... everyone I know with dwarf or SAP dont particularly have an issue with algae eaters. Puffers are unique as they actually have personalities (well, every fish does- but in my experience, not to the same extent). My SAP doesnt eat my otto, shrimp, or my endlers.
Boffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Boffer »

livebearerlove wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 am
Boffer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 am I want to fertilize whit liquid' carbon, but are afraid what it is toxic for me, in what i can read on the internet, there is no clear answer to how safe it is, and im working and sleeping in the same room that the aquarium will bee in, and if the water will evaporate in the room then maby it will not bee that healthy, but ho knows :/
It is more toxic to drive to the store in a car and breath in exhaust.... haha- 'liquid carbon' (as it is called) like Excel will not hurt you. You can google plantedtank dot net.... numerous very in depth conversations on Excel.... broken down into chemistry jargon (so heads up as its worse than legaleeze) in which I have been part of those discussions.

Depends on how hungry your puffer is.... everyone I know with dwarf or SAP dont particularly have an issue with algae eaters. Puffers are unique as they actually have personalities (well, every fish does- but in my experience, not to the same extent). My SAP doesnt eat my otto, shrimp, or my endlers.
Okay well i just gets a little afraid when i read a someting like this https://www.sunkengardens.net/blog/2017 ... araldehyde

I think i will buy a smaller tank like 350 L, and then fill it up whit 15 puffer fish, i dont think im able to be lucky that all 15 is going to bee nice to ohter species :/

So if i dont use liquid' carbon, and will not be alble to have a algea eaters, can i controll the algea whit low light and low fertilizer alone?
Boffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Boffer »

I got the stone!!!! https://ibb.co/3ztRhnx

Hmmm i think i have enough, now its time to build

I will try to glue the rocks together whit superglue and tissue, like this guy is doing, bring me good luck : https://youtu.be/e0eQ9iMOJXU?t=151
Boffer
Puffer Fry

Post by Boffer »

Okay finally got the stones glue together, and made some tress also.

I will get my 350 L akvarium tomorrow, and then i will ordre the plants, and have decided that I don't want puffer fish in that one, but instead some Dwarf Gourami and Guppys, and a clean up crew like snails and Amano shrimp, and maby 2 Discus, but i dont know if they can live together, do anyone of you know?

I will then if everything goes right, buy i second one 200 L Aquarium, in 2 month, and put dwarf puffer fish in it, i know this 200 L will bee a challenge, because i cant have too much flow in the waters, and cant have a clean up crew, so might get some algae´s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2CZk- ... e=youtu.be