Amazon Puffer- OK behavior????

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Amazon Puffer- OK behavior????

Post by livebearerlove »

Hello all....
Im coming over from plantedtank.net as I need specific help with my puffer (i think).

Problem:
I have a small/medium sized Amazon Puffer.... He sits in the bottom RIGHT corner of the tank most of the day.

Background:
I planned to make a freshwater tank that looked like a saltwater tank to appease my spouse. Ever since he arrived he likes one corner of the tank- at the bottom (no TV or screaming kids, reason to be scared).

I was concerned because he basically stays there until he gets hungry. Then he swims to the surface and eats from my fingers. I always think 'YES he is eating and swimming around!' even breaching the surface like a dolpin and swimming back and fourth..... then back down to his little corner- which is actually a little indentation now as he is always there.

He lives in a planted 10 gallon tank with a rock scape (made from zoo safe materials), chiros lighting.
Tank was fully cycled prior to adding any fish.
Other in inhabitants: two Endlers, a kuhli loach and ghost shrimp (which he doesnt eat- I think they are too big- now they are running the show)
Water parameters are as such: pH7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 15
Fertilizers used: Thrive C half dose once a week
Water changes: 10% twice a week. Prime used as declorinator.

Diet: Live snails: bladder or ramhorns. Live grindal worms on occasion, injured endler fry. Frozen krill (I let defrost prior to feeding). Wont eat bloodworms... bummer. On his active days I also give him some shrimp or clam.

I feed him a small amount (1/3 the size of a pencil eraser) twice a day. He is not overweight- nor thin IMO.
The snails have been small lately- he has been seemingly swallowing them whole instead of ripping them apart like a dog....

Is this normal behavior???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Amazon Puffer- OK behavior????

Post by Pufferpunk »

That is not normal behavior for this species. Most folks complain that they never stop moving! I wonder if it is because he is being kept alone? They prefer to be kept in groups: library/puffers-in-focus/sap/
You would have been better off keeping a dwarf puffer as a singleton.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

That could be the case. He just seems lazy unless I am around.
When I sit in my office chair (next to the tank), he is very active, goofy and playful. But since I got him (few months ago) he was never swimming much..... almost like he preferred humans to swimming.

I notice that he really prefers eating directly from my hand/fingers. When the pray falls down- he may just ignore it for awhile until he inevitably consumes it. But he wants to 'nibble' while im holding the snail, etc. Im hoping for advise.... would adding a new one help? of course I would have to upgrade the enclosure later- but for now I dont want him depressed.
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

Do see how he behaves if you hold a mirror up to the glass. As PP says, these puffers do seem to be gregarious, at least under aquarium conditions, and unusually for pufferfish, are perhaps best kept in groups.

It is normal for them to burrow into the sand when resting, or to hide among plant roots at night. If doing so during the day, your puffer might be stressed or afraid. Run through the basics: excessive light (I'm concerned about the upwelling light from the white gravel); boisterous tankmates; latent disease such as intestinal worms; etc.

Cheers, Neale
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Thank you for the replies!

I was recommended this variety of puffer and worked hard to find a healthy one from a reputable person (ended up purchasing online from a fish store). I was very excited when he arrived- but he seems to not have 'vigor' and instead just wants to be close to me (like a dog). My other fish know to come to me during feeding time- but in between feedings they swim around and do .... whatever they do. But George just sits close to the bottom in his hole staring at the glass until I come near the enclosure and traces the glass as if he wants to sit in my lap.

Could I be overfeeding him?

Tank mates are definitely not an issue- they just chill all day long- if fact the most active is the ghost shrimp, lol

The light is actually sunrise/sunset set to medium for a 8 hour period. (peak 50% is only 30 minutes long-- it is matched to natural lighting)

I do not see any other sign of disease... intestinal worms would not be ideal- but he is the number one priority.

If I hold a mirror up, he swims over because he can see me holding it... if only i could train my dog to hold it- ha.
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

My messages don't seem to be going through... so this is a test. Im not a bot- im looking for help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry but all new messages must be approved by me, because of spammers. It would be nice if I had help running this site but alas, it's just me... :roll:
I wasn't referring to the tank mates he has in there--they prefer to live with conspecifics.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

@pufferpunk

That makes sense!
So today I didnt give George breakfast.... by Noon he was very active, swimming around, etc. But begging for food... I fed him some crab legs and snails. Now he is back down to 'resting'. I looked into getting him another tank mate- waiting to hear back from the LFS (of course then I need to quarantine). Other than take him out in a fish bowl and watch horror movies while eating popcorn shrimp together- how can I make him happier?

(that was a joke... but the question still remains).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your tank isn't large enough for a 2nd puffer. Actually, not really large enough for an active singleton.

livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

I think I mentioned their new tank is 140 gallons (custom). It just isnt done yet.
If im correct they get to 3inches right? I have to assume that will be enough for two puffers and a handful of endlers, and an otto or two with planted tank and hardscape. ?? or am I wrong.

I have kept oodles of fish for many, many years. If anything that seems like overkill with good aquarium maintenance.
Personally when fish are young I always put them in smaller tanks until they are larger (even my endler fry) so I can keep a close on them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, no I missed that! I was thinking this was a 10g office tank. Please consider keeping a shoal of them together in the larger tank. Just be aware you will have to catch each one for regular dentistry. Rarely, can they be fed enough snails to avoid this in captivity.

livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Update for today:
I gave a limited diet yesterday. This AM he was swimming around, pecking, etc. Approaching the tank- he swam to the surface. I gave him a 'gut loaded' snail and he watched it drop to the substrate.

I walked away (hid around the corner), and George (realizing I was gone and no more food from the surface) attacked the snail- ferocious dog/shaky thing pulling the snail right out and spitting out the shell.

I walked back up to the tank halfway through his consumption. He stopped and swam up to the surface. So it is as if he would prefer food from me- he has lost his 'hunting' instinct and instead just waits for me to feed him. Domesticated is the proper term. Spoiled might also be appropriate.

I have; by most, been known to spoil my fish. They all live in immaculate planted tanks, vitamins, live food, etc. I was so concerned with his health when he arrived 'pale' after shipping that did I inadvertently also just make him lazy?
So he might be lonely... but also lazy? can a puffer actually bond to a human (if need be as food giver/pack member?)
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:10 am LOL, no I missed that! I was thinking this was a 10g office tank. Please consider keeping a shoal of them together in the larger tank. Just be aware you will have to catch each one for regular dentistry. Rarely, can they be fed enough snails to avoid this in captivity.
Ha! We posted at the same time.
I breed the snails and the ghost shrimp- separate 2.5 gallon (I think it is a fluval something or other- way overstocked- so I change some of the water a couple times a week). I gut load the snails/shrimp- even as far as to feed them fresh Moringa leaves, fresh veggies and algae wafers. I also feed george young fish fry, krill, baby crabs (I have to break it up a bit), ghost shrimp, etc. So he does get a varied diet- sometimes I even see George eat a fish pellet. .. i think because he just see's my hand.

How many puffers would you consider? I really only wanted one with a community tank environment- but would be OK with two or three. However a shoal (by definition) seems like quite a few....
I was recommended to get this type by some individuals online- maybe i should have come to this forum first. ugh.
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

nmonks wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:48 pm Do see how he behaves if you hold a mirror up to the glass. As PP says, these puffers do seem to be gregarious, at least under aquarium conditions, and unusually for pufferfish, are perhaps best kept in groups.

It is normal for them to burrow into the sand when resting, or to hide among plant roots at night. If doing so during the day, your puffer might be stressed or afraid. Run through the basics: excessive light (I'm concerned about the upwelling light from the white gravel); boisterous tankmates; latent disease such as intestinal worms; etc.

Cheers, Neale
I reduced the light. Im still checking for any signs of illness (in which i can not detect)
livebearerlove
Puffer Fry

Post by livebearerlove »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:10 am LOL, no I missed that! I was thinking this was a 10g office tank. Please consider keeping a shoal of them together in the larger tank. Just be aware you will have to catch each one for regular dentistry. Rarely, can they be fed enough snails to avoid this in captivity.
I am not afraid of trimming the beak... I work in Avain wildlife rehabilitation (passerine and hookbills). I think maybe my original posts were not clear enough. I apologize.

The tank is in my office- my home office- my other tanks are in the other room ;) I just want everyone in my house to be happy.