Miurus eating advice

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Miurus eating advice

Post by NJD »

Hi all,

Long time no posting..

Having not bought any new puffers for months I finally bought a miurus. He's got his own 100 litre tank (well and truly cycled, I took media from several well established tanks to fill the canister and flow rate is a good 8x per hour).

A nice big bed of sand which he spends most of his time buried in.

Unfortunately, i cannot get him to eat.

He had been in the shop for about 2 months. I was there when he first arrived and visited a good number of times whilst they de-wormed, and weened him on to frozen foods.

By the time i picked him up, he was eating frozen foods on a daily basis (I know he doesn't need to eat daily and I planned to cut it down to a few times a week once i brought him home). I personally witnessed them feeding him on a few occasions, as soon as the food got anywhere near the tank he was going nuts and wolfed it down.

Unfortunately he has not eaten once in the last 2 and a bit weeks since i picked him up. Ive tried dangling it in front of him and garlic soaks etc and no use.

I wasn't worried at first as these guys can go a while without eating, i assumed he would eventually settle and start eating..but now it has been 2 weeks and no sign of eating so I'm getting worried.

Any suggestions?

I do not want to try live foods as he's already been weened off them once i don't want to start that again if i can avoid..

p.s. i know it took a good few weeks for the shop to get him to eat, but i assumed now that he's settled in captivity it wouldnt be so hard to get him to eat when moving him...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Miurus eating advice

Post by Pufferpunk »

I got to the point where all my would eat are live worms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm I got to the point where all my would eat are live worms.
This is what I do too. Very hard for fish to resist live wiggling worms.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

I know that it's been like a week since you posted, is he doing any better? If he still hasn't then I would give him some live food just to make sure he doesn't starve, but then I would take a frozen shrimp and wiggle it in front of his face. If you just keep at it he will eat eventually.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer