Pogo's in his new home.

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Pogo's in his new home.

Post by DDR2 »

All done! All it took was a month and $800! I've doubled the space for him. Does he make good use of it you ask? No. No, he doesn't. He still spends 23hrs and 55min a day under his favorite log. 😒🐡 But that's o.k. Lurker's gonna lurk. 😔 BTW, I had the opportunity to measure him during the move. Seven inches!!! 😐 I had been guessing around six. So much for the "this kind never gets over 4.5 inches" the wholesalers told us. Also threw in a pic of his old tanks new occupants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Re: Pogo's in his new home.

Post by DDR2 »

A couple more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

Awesome home. Very nice.

I run the dark/light theme too.
Plants help with water quality as the puffer gets to decide where to be.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

Thank you. The veg filter above the tank is a first for me. I've done them before, but always in a sump under the tank. An added bonus is the shade it provides to that side of the tank. Pogo seems to like it, and that's what really matters.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

DDR2 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 pm Thank you. The veg filter above the tank is a first for me. I've done them before, but always in a sump under the tank. An added bonus is the shade it provides to that side of the tank. Pogo seems to like it, and that's what really matters.
If you have video on a channel for Youtube or Vimeo etc., please do share.

That is a really special fish you have there.
Also, what is the beginning of this fish's story beyond the "month/800" thing if you don't mind?
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

I post video on Reddit r/Aquarium and r/MonsterFishKeepers under u/leadfarmer1. A few years ago I was working part time at a lfs that was owned by a friend. We got this little guy in one day(about 3"+/-) and I wanted him. I needed another tank like I needed a hole in the head, so I didn't. It took a week just to get him to eat ghost shrimp. Then fiddler crabs and red worms. Every day for three months, someone asked about him. After a few minutes the conversation would turn to tank mates. That was the deal breaker every time. So I finally bought him(at cost) and put him in a 10g. One day someone sold us an old 26g bowfront, so I bought it. The plan was to put him into that, which I did, and then move him into a 55g setup I was accumulating equipment for. Then we Moved into a smaller apartment. That didn't allow fish. She didn't tell me till a week before the move. I had to get rid of everything. Except him. I just couldn't. So I moved his tank in during the night, hidden in cardboard boxes, and put him in one of the bedrooms. If I'd gotten caught it was a $1000 fine and possible eviction. Then my wife and I split and I was left basically homeless. Moved him to a friend's house and stayed with family for about six months until I got back on my feet and bought a house. A week later I brought him home and less than a year later I bought/built him a new home. I've been keeping fish since I was 10-11 years old, so about 30 yrs. I've kept a lot of really cool fish and lot of different setups. Fresh, salt, brackish, planted, reefs, etc. Predatory characoids, stingrays, sharks, trigger fish, predatory catfish, and snakeheads were probably my favorite. But this is the first and only fish I've ever named.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

DDR2 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:23 am I post video on Reddit r/Aquarium and r/MonsterFishKeepers under u/leadfarmer1. A few years ago ....
Pain brings Purpose.

I feel for you. It is so hard letting some things go.

That is a very special fish.