Anything can do to help puffed puffer?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Anything can do to help puffed puffer?

Post by astrid37 »

Hi All,
My T. schoutedeni got stuck in the python tube during a water change and puffed. I did the best I could to keep her submerged while I was trying to get her out, but I can't be sure that she didn't get any air inside of her.

As soon as I got her out of the tube, I added Stress Stopper, Melafix, and Stability to the tank. I also turned off her light.

Her breathing is still faster than normal and she's still a little puffed. Is there anything more that I can do to help her?

Also, should I feed her today or skip today?

Thanks so much,
Astrid
Feral
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Seclusion, USA

Re: Anything can do to help puffed puffer?

Post by Feral »

Aw, poor thing. I love that you're so concerned with her well-being. Thanks for being a caring person!

Is she able to keep herself submerged, oriented correctly, and swimming normally? Are there any visible wounds or deformities or torn fins? Is there anyone in the tank that might take advantage of her in her current state?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Thanks so much, Feral and Pufferpunk.
I really do love my girl. She has the sweetest personality and has bonded to me, as much as a puffer can bond to a person. I tried the hospital library article technique, and to me, she still looks a little puffy. Wondering if I should try it again tomorrow? Her swimming technique is basically normal. She does look maybe a little like she is tending toward angling slightly upward while at rest, but it could just be me being overly worried. She is definitely able to keep herself submerged. The little dangly bits on the front of her face look pink to me, which is not normal, and I'm concerned she may have scratched her eyes whilst in the tube, thus both the reasons that I put the Melafix in right after it happened. Her fins look fine, no visible wounds, tearing or any deformities. She's the biggest thing in that tank on purpose so that she is the queen bee. The rest are just corys, tetras etc... , and for two years, they have always ignored one other. I"m so worried. She is such a darling. I really lucked out with her and never take that for granted. This girl is the apple of my eye.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Awww... I love when someone is soo attached to their puffer! Give her a day to recovery & then try the burping again of the's still not upright.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Will do, thanks Pufferpunk :). Yep, I really do love my girl :).