Dwarf Puffer with big head, skinny body

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Macks
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PHX, AZ, US

Dwarf Puffer with big head, skinny body

Post by Macks »

Has anyone had any experience with DPs that have this sort of body? I've seen online a few mentions of people who also had DPs like this, and said that they didn't seem to do so well. Mine is actually larger, head and length size, than the rest of my DPs, but it always has this kind of starved look to it. It's not the weird concavity caused by IPs, which I have unfortunately had too much experience with. It just looks like he's way underfed. I just started feeding 1-2 times daily to see if that makes it beef up at all, but I just worry about the little thing because of how its body makes it look like it's hungry. I'll post a pic later on, I just fed them right now so it doesn't look quite as gawky as it usually does, I'll take a pic after its little belly bump goes down. The jury also seems to be out on how often to feed DPs. I've seen the typical 2-3 times per week or every other day much more often, which is what I was doing, but when I was trying to research this, I've found others that say they absolutely need to be fed daily, so I made the switch several days ago. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance. Oh, and I feed them bladder snail, ramshorn, blood worms, and mysis shrimp.
Macks
Puffer Fry

Re: Dwarf Puffer with big head, skinny body

Post by Macks »

Some photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macks
Puffer Fry

Post by Macks »

Photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macks
Puffer Fry

Post by Macks »

Macks
Puffer Fry

Post by Macks »

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's a sign of emaciation. Either it hasn't been fed enough of the right foods or it has IPs.
library/hospital/internal-parasites-pre ... treatment/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"