schoutedeni - diet change advice

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

schoutedeni - diet change advice

Post by NJD »

howdy all,

you may (or may not!) remember but about 2.5 months ago I became the proud owner of a shoal of tetradon schoutedeni.

They were v. small (1-2 cm) when I obtained them. They are growing really well - some of them have already nearly tripled in size!!

I have been feeding them bloodworm since they arrived as that is all they would take. This hasn't been a bad thing as they've clearly grown well.

I'd like to now try move them on to something a bit meatier as they are growing. I have tried putting in some cockles (no shell) but they showed zero interest.

Any suggestions? (possibly cocktail shrimp broken into smaller bits?)

Thanks
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Re: schoutedeni - diet change advice

Post by StinkyPete »

NJD wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:55 am howdy all,

you may (or may not!) remember but about 2.5 months ago I became the proud owner of a shoal of tetradon schoutedeni.

They were v. small (1-2 cm) when I obtained them. They are growing really well - some of them have already nearly tripled in size!!

I have been feeding them bloodworm since they arrived as that is all they would take. This hasn't been a bad thing as they've clearly grown well.

I'd like to now try move them on to something a bit meatier as they are growing. I have tried putting in some cockles (no shell) but they showed zero interest.

Any suggestions? (possibly cocktail shrimp broken into smaller bits?)

Thanks
All I have been able to do was Vitachem soak-prep the Bloodworm cubes while they thaw and feed snails.
The Ramshorn meat, live blackworm, and live brine are so tiny, I don't think it does much, but gives them a different profile ever so slightly to their pallet.

The freezer has some squid and other clam stuff that has been there for a few months.
I could not get the schoutedeni puffers to take it.
- as a reminder, I'll try again by sneaking in a 5% to their normal food.

The ground feeders like the farlowella cats/stick cats and the little red lizard catfish seem to take the crab and squid if the puffers don't.
-man, ...that meaty food has a Sea World smell!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Crush a garlic clove & soak in water with that.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Post by lilacamy931 »

Mine feed on all mentioned above and raw prawn/shrimp soaked in vits or garlic. Don't introduce cherry shrimp - I did to give my guy a hunting adventure and now they live with a small colony of blinking shrimp.