SAP surfing glass

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
freshpuffer1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: A Pea puffer named Puffy, another Pea puffer named Puff, and a Amazon puffer named Cheeto.
Location (country): America, Georgia

SAP surfing glass

Post by freshpuffer1 »

Hi guys, do you guys know how to stop my SAP from surfing up and down the glass? For some reason, it does it at a specific time, and goes to do other stuff at another specific time.

Do you guys know how to stop this surfing madness (not really madness)? I put rocks to block the puffer from looking obsessed with his/her reflection, (his/her name is Cheeto) and a Madagascar lace leaf plant. But the tank still looks great though.. :)
JayEmpty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: SAP surfing glass

Post by JayEmpty »

I'm not an expert by a long shot but maybe, just maybe, it's because he's alone? I've read the Amazon Puffers are kinda social and prefers to be with a group. I have two, Oliver and Barry. Barry is the one who often glass surfs, Oliver, just swims around and darts from one place to another.

But please, wait for some expert to give you a sound advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are correct, SAPs prefer to be in groups: library/puffers-in-focus/sap/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

freshpuffer1 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm Hi guys, do you guys know how to stop my SAP from surfing up and down the glass? For some reason, it does it at a specific time, and goes to do other stuff at another specific time.

Do you guys know how to stop this surfing madness (not really madness)? I put rocks to block the puffer from looking obsessed with his/her reflection, (his/her name is Cheeto) and a Madagascar lace leaf plant. But the tank still looks great though.. :)
As long as the behavior is not constant, it shouldn't be a large problem. However, if you would like to discourage this behavior I would recommend adding some more snails and plants to hunt and explore (keep in mind that SAPs need a massive quantity of snails anyways). Also, what size is the tank? It could be the result of not having enough space.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
freshpuffer1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: A Pea puffer named Puffy, another Pea puffer named Puff, and a Amazon puffer named Cheeto.
Location (country): America, Georgia

Post by freshpuffer1 »

Okay, thanks!