Went to bed with 3 DPs, woke up with 1?!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Macks
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PHX, AZ, US

Re: Went to bed with 3 DPs, woke up with 1?!

Post by Macks »

I’m going to watch it like a hawk. I’ll try to think of a more permanent solution, but this will work as long as I make sure it’s always plugged up. And honestly, I’m just thankful I found the one alive today while there was still time. I had already looked at the filtration compartments a few times, but it finally occurred to me that I needed to look into the sponge compartment. Here’s hoping the stress of that doesn’t do her in, I’m going to be really watchful about feeding to try to make sure she gets her strength back.

Thanks again for all of your input, I’ve been kind of freaking out for the last week and it’s been really helpful to be able to bounce ideas off of someone and get some feedback. I really appreciate it!
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

Glad you figured it out. Its just one of those things we don’t always look for. My learning experience was a large fake wood ornament from the pet store. Yeah it was safe to put in the tank water but I never thought about my small fish getting inside some of the holes that were there so the ornament wouldn’t float with trapped air. I lost a few fish to that stupid thing before I realized where they were disappearing to. I feel your loss.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Macks
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PHX, AZ, US

Post by Macks »

Thank you for sharing that, it helps because hearing someone else have a similar experience, it’s easier for me to react with “you can’t know what you don’t know.” Harder for me to apply that to myself without a reminder. I am just so grateful now that nightmare is over and that no more fish are gonna die like that. And it taught me something to keep in mind for all of my future aquarium endeavors. I never thought such a small cranny would matter, because it’s actually a bit smaller than the fish themselves... but I forgot that fish are 1) slippery and 2) soft, so squeezing into places isn’t impossible. I’m really glad that now I can focus on caring for them and enjoying it now.