Are these abei or ...?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Are these abei or ...?

Post by NJD »

Hi all,

Although I've got my hairy and suvatti (and possibly another large hairy on the way!!) I'm in a bit of a spend zone at the moment - coupled with the fact I know somebody who has just closed a fish room so access to cheap second hand aquariums :D

Still tempted by the 'Abei' puffers in a shop i know. See below - I'm not convinced these are Abei as they don't seem light enough?

Do you think these are Abei's? If not - what else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Re: Are these abei or ...?

Post by DDR2 »

Could be really young, stressed out abei. Looks like turgidus, though. Mine will darken his spots and back when stressed or angry, but never the area in between the spots on his sides.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by DDR2 »

My Abei
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

NJD wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 am Do you think these are Abei's? If not - what else?
I just went through this.
I'm about certain I have 2 turgidus.
A few months ago, I bought two ($40 each) "sold-as" abei that most people say are now Turgidus.
They look like yours purchased from Wetspot, Oregon. 2018 summer season.
20180924_154552 (Small).jpg
20180826_124307 (Small).jpg

Another story (ebay seller):
A guy on the facebook puffer page had the same issue with some posts and Q&A (Aug. 8th, and Sept 1st) where he inquired an abei vs turgidus photo.
One pic in his inquiry stage had that blue cricket keeper backdrop (the blue ebay seller's pic).
The guy questioning was after those ebay "Abei sale" puffers and purchased them before I did.
I noticed he had the Tugidus-looking one after it arrived.
41891548_10105149621668695_6016258753647607808_n.jpg
The ebay seller was selling the puffers using abei looking photos for multiple sales and I contacted them for the real photo of the fish they were selling.
It sold within 48hrs of the message I sent, and I did not get a reply.
To dig deeper, I noticed the older history on this ebay seller's Abei sales were using the same
abei photos (looked like a blue background and an Abei looking puffer).
600.jpg
Summary:
This past year or two people have been grabbing Abei sales and getting turgidus looking puffers.

- Pufferpunk should be able to chime in and correct most of the issue.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Turgidus
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by PYRU »

Yep turgidus. You either have to buy them all in hopes of getting an abei or request pics before someone buys it.

What I've found is these importers get like 1 abei and fairly certain they can ID them. However they use the line " these target species are hard to identify". I hardly ever see the original fish that was used in the sales pic. You can't do like cichlids and just order a Oscar etc. You have to look at every pic.

I was looking at Leiurus recently. They had one barbatus and the rest were turgidus. Early this yr a guy I know ordered abei from the vendor above. He says he received one abei ( I haven't seen the pics though) and the rest are turgidus.