Pogo, My Abei puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Pogo, My Abei puffer

Post by DDR2 »

I finally figured out how to post pictures here. My Abei, Pogo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Re: Pogo, My Abei puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

Very nice!
Thanks for the pics.
Flickr (photo sharing cloud-site) is a great place to store your pics as well as having the codes for those pics to paste into forum formats.

How is it as for behavior?
Where did it come from?

I was after these, but the store gave me two Turgidus sold as Abei.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

Behavior wise, he's lazy and malevolent. He spends most of his time laying in his favorite spot until I come around. Then he begs. If you've ever had experience with undulated triggers, you know what I deal with. No cords in the tank. Extremely cautious whenever hands are in or even near the water. Sometimes I have to herd him away with a net. Always know exactly where he is at all times. He will stick his head out a couple inches above the surface to snap at a possible meal. Sometimes he even gets tired of being watched and starts gnashing his teeth on the glass while lunging at me and arching his back/flaring his sides to look bigger. He even bites his airstone and driftwood. He's destroyed a lot of plants, including all my not cheap at all anubias coffifolia and most of the java fern. Totally worth it. In 30 yrs I've never had a fish with as much personality. I got him at a LFS I was working at at the time. Unfortunately the owner retired and sold the shop to a person who promptly ran it into the ground and went out of business. There's a place in Knoxville where I live called the Aquarium that had a couple about two years ago but I haven't seen any since. Good luck finding some Abei puffers. Hope you're able to find some. I know they're pretty seasonal; I got mine in the spring. March, if I'm not mistaken. Love the turgidus, BTW.
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Very nice!
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

DDR2 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm Behavior wise, he's lazy and malevolent. He spends most of his time laying in his favorite spot until I come around. Then he begs. If you've ever had experience with undulated triggers, you know what I deal with. No cords in the tank. Extremely cautious whenever hands are in or even near the water. Sometimes I have to herd him away with a net. Always know exactly where he is at all times. He will stick his head out a couple inches above the surface to snap at a possible meal. Sometimes he even gets tired of being watched and starts gnashing his teeth on the glass while lunging at me and arching his back/flaring his sides to look bigger. He even bites his airstone and driftwood. He's destroyed a lot of plants, including all my not cheap at all anubias coffifolia and most of the java fern. Totally worth it. In 30 yrs I've never had a fish with as much personality. I got him at a LFS I was working at at the time. Unfortunately the owner retired and sold the shop to a person who promptly ran it into the ground and went out of business. There's a place in Knoxville where I live called the Aquarium that had a couple about two years ago but I haven't seen any since. Good luck finding some Abei puffers. Hope you're able to find some. I know they're pretty seasonal; I got mine in the spring. March, if I'm not mistaken. Love the turgidus, BTW.
Thanks.
-wow, what a spunky fish!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

:smitten: My next puffer! And a Pignose.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

Just got home from work and this is how I'm greeted. Some of of the scratches on the glass are Pogo's handiwork!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

When that didn't get me to stop looking at him, he showed me his pearly whites.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

DDR2 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 am Just got home from work and this is how I'm greeted. Some of of the scratches on the glass are Pogo's handiwork!
The scratch topic is new to me.
I see they can break snail shell and likely our fingernail with ease.

Are the scratches in the glass permanent or some sort of rub marks?
PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by PYRU »

I can answer that. Permanent. Beaks and teeth don't rub
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

PYRU wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 am I can answer that. Permanent. Beaks and teeth don't rub
Wow. Thanks for the teeth/glass update.
Pogo seems like a spunky little handfull. :grats:
I would be a bit sad to see them do this as I have acquired fairly nice display tanks.

At the saltwater stores, I do see the actions you described as these chubby Arothron Dog Face Puffers seem to do it too.
They either hide or come to the glass and do the "teeth show".

A question (?):
You seem to have a good selection of puffers lately.
Can you list them for us if you have not done it already?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

This is exactly why you don't keep puffers in acrylic tanks!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 am This is exactly why you don't keep puffers in acrylic tanks!
I must have missed this, as I thought it was a glass project ?
hmm?

I totally agree with the acrylic statement though and I'm shocked to see that a little puffer did this to glass thinking they were only rub marks not scratches.

Older post :
DDR2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm
Behavior wise, he's lazy and malevolent. He spends most of his time laying in his favorite spot until I come around. Then he begs. If you've ever had experience with undulated triggers, you know what I deal with. No cords in the tank. Extremely cautious whenever hands are in or even near the water. Sometimes I have to herd him away with a net. Always know exactly where he is at all times. He will stick his head out a couple inches above the surface to snap at a possible meal. Sometimes he even gets tired of being watched and starts gnashing his teeth on the glass while lunging at me and arching his back/flaring his sides to look bigger. He even bites his airstone and driftwood. He's destroyed a lot of plants, including all my not cheap at all anubias coffifolia and most of the java fern. Totally worth it. In 30 yrs I've never had a fish with as much personality. I got him at a LFS I was working at at the time. Unfortunately the owner retired and sold the shop to a person who promptly ran it into the ground and went out of business. There's a place in Knoxville where I live called the Aquarium that had a couple about two years ago but I haven't seen any since. Good luck finding some Abei puffers. Hope you're able to find some. I know they're pretty seasonal; I got mine in the spring. March, if I'm not mistaken. Love the turgidus, BTW.
Last edited by StinkyPete on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

I've watched him go through both sides of a live mussels shell(2 1/2" across 1/8" thick) like a hot knife through butter. Just a crack, pop, and done, leaving a perfect impression of his teeth. As for those cute little dog face puffers, a friend of mine got bitten on the thumb by one at a LFS we worked at years ago. When it happened, it was hilarious. The wound was not. It went through his thumbnail and the flesh on both sides to the bone. When he came back from the ER the next day his thumbnail was gone and the doctor told him it had chipped the bone on both sides and actually fractured his thumb! That was a 5" puffer. Mine is almost 6". I've had fish that were aggressive enough to attack me. I've had fish that could hurt me. These guys can do both. Always respect that fact and never forget where they are when hands are in or near the water.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

And yes. It's glass.