New Pea Puffer Behavior

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
henryt
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New Pea Puffer Behavior

Post by henryt »

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about the behavior of my new pea puffer. I have years of fish experience and am aware of most basic principles. However, I just my got first puffer and have some questions about its behavior regarding their tail and caudal fin. When I first got it (i have not sexed it yet) they swam to the bottom as I would expect from a new fish, but its tail has been bent to the left and does not want to get off of/away from the bottom of the tank. I know this can be a sign of parasites and I already have starting medicating as I do with all my new fish but it has been a day and I want to make sure that everything is okay.

P.S.
The tank is ten gallons and heavily planted (it is so small it's very hard to find among all the plants.)

Thanks,
Henry
drekalicious
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Re: New Pea Puffer Behavior

Post by drekalicious »

I've read that this is normal while they're new and anxious, they should have stopped by now (seeing as your post is a month old).

I'm looking to get back into raising these guys, so I'm trying to be more active, and see how others are doing. How is yours doing?
freshpuffer1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: A Pea puffer named Puffy, another Pea puffer named Puff, and a Amazon puffer named Cheeto.
Location (country): America, Georgia

Re: New Pea Puffer Behavior

Post by freshpuffer1 »

Yeah, when I had a pea puffer, I saw it curl it's tail. It's pretty normal.