Congo struggles

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Post Reply
PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm
Location (country): USA

Congo struggles

Post by PYRU » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am

These thing is so picky

It will eat nightcrawlers, but only the pointy ends right now. Use to eat shrimp, but quit. Tried krill it snobbed it. Tried crawfish, fish filet, etc no luck. Garlic solution no go. I fed some clean feeder fish, but it only managed to catch one in 2 days.I've used tongs and tied food to a fishing line. Parameters are great and acts normal it just won't eat consistently enough to keep it at a healthier weight.

It use to be at a good weight, but has slimmed up considerably. I've ran out of tricks. Any advice?

User avatar
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Scruffy) / Suvattii (named Badger)
Location (country): USA
Location: Lakewood, WA

Re: Congo struggles

Post by DMD123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Maybe try smaller food items? Small worms instead of nightcrawlers, or maybe some live ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp?
300 gallon H. Pearsei, P. Heterospilus, Bichirs: Ansorgii, Dabola endli (Tinkissi river), Faranah Guinea lap, sp. Koliba lap, Weeksii
65B Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer)
65B Suvattii (Arrowhead puffer)

PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm
Location (country): USA

Re: Congo struggles

Post by PYRU » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 pm

DMD123 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm
Maybe try smaller food items? Small worms instead of nightcrawlers, or maybe some live ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp?
I did notice it having problems biting into the krill. It made a perfect v but didn't slice through like I anticipated. It also had problem slicing through that little fish in the video if you noticed. It more hung on than anything. Maybe your right. It's only 2.75-3" tops

User avatar
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Scruffy) / Suvattii (named Badger)
Location (country): USA
Location: Lakewood, WA

Re: Congo struggles

Post by DMD123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Or maybe some teeth growth issues? I know rare (next to impossible?) in these lurkers but possible teeth overgrowth?
300 gallon H. Pearsei, P. Heterospilus, Bichirs: Ansorgii, Dabola endli (Tinkissi river), Faranah Guinea lap, sp. Koliba lap, Weeksii
65B Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer)
65B Suvattii (Arrowhead puffer)

User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: Congo struggles

Post by eieio » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm

PYRU wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am
These thing is so picky

It will eat nightcrawlers, but only the pointy ends right now. Use to eat shrimp, but quit. Tried krill it snobbed it. Tried crawfish, fish filet, etc no luck. Garlic solution no go. I fed some clean feeder fish, but it only managed to catch one in 2 days.I've used tongs and tied food to a fishing line. Parameters are great and acts normal it just won't eat consistently enough to keep it at a healthier weight.

It use to be at a good weight, but has slimmed up considerably. I've ran out of tricks. Any advice?
how long have you had it?
why not fill in the info necessary in the "hospital" section, maybe we can spot something there.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm
Location (country): USA

Re: Congo struggles

Post by PYRU » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm

eieio wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm
PYRU wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am
These thing is so picky

It will eat nightcrawlers, but only the pointy ends right now. Use to eat shrimp, but quit. Tried krill it snobbed it. Tried crawfish, fish filet, etc no luck. Garlic solution no go. I fed some clean feeder fish, but it only managed to catch one in 2 days.I've used tongs and tied food to a fishing line. Parameters are great and acts normal it just won't eat consistently enough to keep it at a healthier weight.

It use to be at a good weight, but has slimmed up considerably. I've ran out of tricks. Any advice?
how long have you had it?
why not fill in the info necessary in the "hospital" section, maybe we can spot something there.
Well I don't consider it a health issue. It's capable of ripping into something IF it wants to. It can cut a nightcrawler in half and smash a shrimp tail. It will eat the pointy ends of things, but leave the rest. Maybe it just prefers smaller items.

I've had it since May roughly around 3"

Post Reply