New baby dragon puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
olliesworld
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Ollie, Wally and Paulie - Fahaka Puffers in separate massive tanks
Location (country): USA

New baby dragon puffer

Post by olliesworld »

Hi to the group! I still have my three big Fahaka puffers and with all your help, they are doing well - Ollie is now about a foot long in a 300 gallon tank :o after two years. Love them! A week ago I adopted a juvenile dragon/ humpback puffer, "Cartman" (named after the southpark character who looks like this puffer). I have been back on the forum today hunting for sage wisdom from other puffer owners and just wanted to show Cartman's cute little face. He is very much a lurker, as these puffs are known to be, and hangs in the plants all day, but I love to watch these adorable eyes roll around to keep watch on the tank. He moves around looking for food in the evening. Any advice is appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ollie- Fahaka puffer. I am wrapped around his fin!
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Re: New baby dragon puffer

Post by DMD123 »

Cute!
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

We have two palembangensis dragons and they are still polar opposite for now. Shy vs. outgoing.
I love the face on these.

The info is all over the forum about them, but Vitachem ($$) in the water and soaked on the food is a great start.
Try to look for PufferPunks replies on the random palembangensis puffer threads.
Youtube username, "Zacks Tanks Crazy Aquarium Guy" has his Dragon eating some decent oddball foods.

This forum has a PUFFER Library too.
Last month, I was shocked to learn that Feeder Minnows and goldfish have a high content of a negative enzyme which will make B1 in the Dragon less and less over time.

The Puffer Library
Information and Articles on Puffers and other Aquarium Fish
Category: Feeding
library/category/feeding/

Thiaminase and its role in predatory pet fish (and other piscivores) nutrition
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/ ... minase.htm

Filtration:
I currently hooked up the most flow I could get away with, but in a subtle calm action using a spraybar (pipe with holes) on the output instead of any fan or nozzle.
I have round hydro sponges, hang on filters, canisters, and more, but am narrowing it down to the filters that do the job as well as keep the fish from swimming to hard.
One side has more flow and the other is more calm.
The choice is theirs to chill out in their favorite flow or in some bubbles or not at all.

The one palembangensis has an output spraybar on the bottom aiming upward and really likes to ride the updraft.
Whatever keeps them happy.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Vitachem ($$) in the water
Waste of $$$ adding ANYTHING into their water you want the fish to get inside of them. FW fish do NOT drink water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm
Waste of $$$ adding ANYTHING into their water you want the fish to get inside of them. FW fish do NOT drink water.
I would tend to agree... I really cant find anything solid regarding information on the 'tissue soluble' claims they make. They also use the term: "an exclusive revolutionary NEW concept in vitamin supplements" The definition of the word 'concept': "an abstract idea; a general notion" or how about this one "an idea or invention to help sell or publicize a commodity." Cant really find any facts to support the claims of adding this to the water...

If someone does find something real on that, would appreciate the link. I do like to read up on stuff like that.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

Pufferpunk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm
That would save a few ounces of the Vitachem liquid for sure.
I feel better knowing I only did it a few times, but soak food regularly.

Thanks for the tip. That should be forum "sticky".
I missed it. others may too.