More irrubescos

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

More irrubescos

Post by NJD »

Hi all,

I have had my 6 irrubescos for a little while now. A local shop has just go a shipment of 40 irrubescos in!

I am thinking of moving my 6 to a bigger tank, say 100 gal??

At the moment I have 5 females and 1 male, no aggression

I would like to increase the numbers to 10 in my bigger tank.

The question is what mix? I am thinking ultimately 2 male and 8 females, that way if something happens to one of the males there is still one left so hopefully I can get them breeding? Or is that a bad idea and should i stick with 1 male and 9 females?

Thanks.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Re: More irrubescos

Post by gkai »

They are popping here and there in Europe: Germany, UK, sweden, seems that the import lines from indonesia are back....But not in Belgium yet :cry: I could order them online from german shops, wanted 2 males and 3-4 females....but I do not like buying live fishes online and worst: the shipping cost equals or exceed he price of the 5-6 fishes...As shipping is not refundable, I really hope to avoid going this way. Still hoping it pops up in Belgium, or in physical shop in Germany or Netherland not too far from Belgian frontier. Then I can simply drive there and do the transport myself...
Last edited by gkai on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Re: More irrubescos

Post by gkai »

Found some local source, finally! So if all works well, I should have my group this friday or saturday. Apparently they are young adults, not emaciated but probably shipped with too many fishes per box, so quite a few aggression marks.

I am also wondering how many males and females to include in that group. ATM, I think about 2M+4F in a large footprint 350L (120cm Long*70cm wide, 40 deep)...For US, I think it's about 47 long*27 wide, 16 deep 90 Gal tank)...
Not worried about pollution, but I am not sure if intra and interspecific agression will be OK, nor if feeding will be easy. Time will tell, 1M+2-3F may be safer but on the other hand I'd like to introduce all of them together to minimize chances of intra aggression, and indeed 2M is nice for the reason you mention...Not easy to decide...