Sap colors and housing with other species of puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Bong,JamesBong
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Sap colors and housing with other species of puffer

Post by Bong,JamesBong »

Hi I'm a new to puffer keeping, and they have instantly become my favorite fish they seem to have lots of personality... I have 5 SAPS, currently and temporarily housed in a 20 while their new home (a 68 gal) finishes cycling which should be done by next week.

They seem kinda hyper compared to the other puffers ( except pea puffers) I've seen but I still think they are awesome...Most of the time they hang out together peacefully...Until it's time to eat, they will all fight over the same shrimp or snail even though theres more in the tank lol.

Anyway my question is 4 out of the 5 colors seems more dull and subtle compared to other SAPS I've seen. Kinda grayish and can barely see the yellow on them.Other than that they seem healthy.Would the color of my substrate be a reason for that? Do they adapt to the color of their environment? If I went to a black sand or soil would they change color?

Also I have another tank currently being cycled for 2 spotted congo's my lfs is currently holding for me.. I know they are rare and possibly got ahead of myself being kinda new to keeping puffers, but i would I have any trouble keeping those two in the same tank long term? No idea what sex they are, or if that even matters when it comes to housing them together. Do you think I could possibly house the SAPS and t schoudendi all together in a large enough tank? Maybe in a 135 or larger?.....I've tried doing my research but cant find to much info on them... Thanks for any advice or insight i appreciate it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Sap colors and housing with other species of puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I personally, wouldn't do it. They certainly wouldn't run into each other in nature. Sounds like you have ENOUGH competition for food with the SAPs already...

Yes, substrate color will affect the puffer's colors. Is it dark?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bong,JamesBong
Puffer Fry

Post by Bong,JamesBong »

Ok thanks I'll keep them separate...and yes it is a light colored sand.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

I agree with Pufferpunk completely, would not house the SAPs with the schoutedeni. I have 7 T. schoutedeni and have had problems housing 6 babies of them together in a 125g, and they're the same species. What is the tank size that you are going to use for the two schoutedeni, and how old are they? (Baby, juvenile, adult?)
Bong,JamesBong
Puffer Fry

Post by Bong,JamesBong »

Thanks for the advice...The size of the t schoutedeni if I had to guess maybe 3inches. I got pics of them but i cant upload them here apparently. They are going into a Ada 120H so roughly 78 gallon I believe. I have a 125 and 135 as well but they are currently empty and was only planning on using those tanks if I could have housed them all together.But I will listen to your guys advice and keep them separate.
Bong,JamesBong
Puffer Fry

Post by Bong,JamesBong »

And still wondering if I might have problems housing the 2 T schoutedeni in the 78? Appreciate the insight from you guys...
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

Bong,JamesBong wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm Ok thanks I'll keep them separate...and yes it is a light colored sand.
Good choice, Schoutedenis can be more aggressive than SAPs and are a lot slower.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer