carintetradon irrubescos

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

carintetradon irrubescos

Post by NJD »

Hi all,

My LFS has just received a delivery of carinotetradon irrubescos at a good prices. I know they are fairly rare and quite cool so want to get some. From my understand, these are less aggressive then most and so multiple fish can be kept in one tank.

The only spare tank I have right now is 200 litres. They are currently 3-4cm. How many will I fit in such a tank? Can I get away with 6? It has lots of caves and whilst not currently planted – I plan to add some.

This has been set up for 3 weeks. It has had 2 goldfish in for about a week (to help the cycling process – I can rehome these) and I have a bottle of ‘starter bacteria’. It is not the tetra safe start – but another make I happen to have in. I also can pinch some mature filter media from another one of my established tanks to give it that ‘boost’. I obviously plan to turn the heater on and remove the goldfish about 24 hours before I add the irrubescos. Assuming that will be OK?

Additionally does anybody have a link to any useful resources on the irrubesco?

Thanks.
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: carintetradon irrubescos

Post by pufferjw »

I'm not sure, frankly I wouldn't risk it. With that tank set up, it sounds like you'd be much better off with a Monotrete Palembangensis. However, if you insist on getting six red eye puffers, I'd recommend 1 or 2 males and the rest females. However, be prepared to lose a fish or two. And definitely put plants in BEFORE you introduce the puffers, they need hiding places and barriers.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: carintetradon irrubescos

Post by Pufferpunk »

I had a female who killed three males after breeding three times with one of them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"