Dwarf puffers tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
rw123
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Dwarf puffers tank

Post by rw123 »

Hi all, I currently have 2 dps in a 10 gallon planted tank and they’re doing very well :D but the tank looks very empty as it is tall and they never go up to the top. I was wondering I could keep a small shoal of fish (possibly neons or mosquito rasbora-or any other suggestions) with them? Or possibly another 1 or 2 dps? They live with about 8 red cherry shrimp at the moment and haven’t bothered them:)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf puffers tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
A long tank (for swimming) is always recommended over tall. That being said, I'm afraid your pint-size "piranhas" may not tolerate any tank mates.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

I'd agree with with Puffer punk for long tanks, but I've learned one thing as an exception.
My 8 DP are happy in a 24x24x30 tall, but there is driftwood stacked from top to bottom.
The roost in the nook of the branches at night and cruise all levels of the tank cleaning house of any pest snails.
***Use lots of driftwood and plants.

They are very fat and love to stop what they are doing and cruise the front glass as soon as a human comes in the room.
It is basically the same as what you see in a pet store, but we feed our puffers.
They will stare at you through the glass like dogs.

I'd still suggest the long tank as it it easy to clean.
They do make a nice 48x15x16 from Seapora with a long glass lid and a center glass brace for about $110.
40 breeders with the support of a center brace are better than those weak non-supported 40 breeder we all find on sale.
The glass bows way too much without center braces on most tanks.

We have been adding Anubias nana petite (plants) to the tank over the past few weeks.
The nana petite are pricey running $4-5 each little bit, but grow well in the right light and better with fish waste.
They are a good low/medium light plant.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

A photo from this evening.
8 dwarf puffs.

I love the tank, buuut I'd still go long if we had the room for another tank for the puffers.
Once my other 48x15x16 60 gal. is not being used, we are going to likely place the dwarf puff in there.
They are lovely little creeps.
I'd like to keep this 24x24x30 as the Anubias nana petite (plant) grow-out tank.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nice!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"