Feeding behavior of baby T. schoutedeni

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Feeding behavior of baby T. schoutedeni

Post by astrid37 »

Hi All,
This will probably not come as a surprise to you, am only posting because there isn't much out there on the behavior of baby T. schoutedeni. "Daphne" is my baby schoutedeni in a tank with my mature schoutedeni, "Copernicus ". Copernicus was wild caught and Daphne tank raised. She's teeny tiny, probably no more than 2 months old, and I have been noticing her blowing on the sand substrate to try to uncover snails. Copernicus hasn't ever done that in the eight months I've had him, that I've seen. Maybe he's just lazy and used to being tong fed, as he was already a young adult when I got him. Just found this all rather interesting and wanted to share.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Re: Feeding behavior of baby T. schoutedeni

Post by StinkyPete »

Nice.
Thanks for the updates.

It seems keepers don't seem to share much on these fish these days for as much technology and cameras we have.
The correct hashtags on Instagram have led me to some new findings that Google could not pick-up by a search by recent date and the schoutedeni.

astrid37,
Do you share your tanks logs on any sites?
Pm me if this is not the correct way to ask.
Thanks
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

Hi there, thank you! That is great to know about searching for information via hashtags. I will have to try that, as I am always on the lookout for more information about these guys. I unfortunately don't have a site where I share any information on my tanks other than here. I'm really grateful to this site and am glad the schoutedeni are starting to make a bit of a comeback. It means that hopefully more information will start to be available, too.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

Sorry, I cannot help with babies, but Oliver Knott on the internet has a ton of love from Germany for the schoutedeni and some good info to follow.
He may be able to help you find some answers on your schoutedeni youngster.

I just bought a crud ton of food to figure out this Congo schoutedeni thing.
Frozen Mussels, frozen Squid, Live black worms, live brine, frozen blood worms, and finally trumpets and ramshorns to breed out.

The guy at the store said to snip the rear of the hard trumpet snails pointy tip with cutters and then feed the easier made trimmed meal to the schoutedeni.
He stated the tip is the most concentrated hard part in his opinion.

No babies as of yet, but I grabbed two schoutedeni 2.5 inchers last month.
Today, I received my shipment of five more schoutedeni sub adults.
They did not make the overnight 1-day mark for the fast one day package ship and sat in a carrier's facility.
I did get them the next (2nd) day.
They are alive.
I can only hope the skinny ones make it.
I think I have some small dotty ick on the fins and most are sub-adult 3 inch at max with a tail.

Best of luck Astrid37.
Thanks in advance for sharing all you can for the rest of us.

I'll be able to post more soon on the collection of schoutedeni.
7 is a handful. I hope they all make it.
They are eating, but so very skinny.
preston143
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Mesa, Arizona - USA

Post by preston143 »

Feed lots of snails. If they are too large you may first need to crush the shell so the meat is accessible. My trio eats the equivalent of one and a half large mystery snails each day. For the baby fry, I feed infusoria. Here is a video. I'll post more soon that should give you some more help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9ysB4HhUo
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

There is a fellow breeding them on the TPF Facebook group. You may want to contact him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"