Considering second t. schoutedeni

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Re: Considering second t. schoutedeni

Post by astrid37 »

Hi! Thanks for yours and Pufferpunk's replies :). That is interesting about your having to separate two schoutedeni and also about your pea puffers. I really appreciated your suggestions on the light diffuser thingy and also the black zip ties. I will check out the diffuser and can already think of a few places where the zip ties will come in handy. I tried to attach a few photos, but even at .gif size, the site it saying they're too large. I'm going to play with them a bit and will see if I can get them to upload a different way. The baby continues to harass Copernicus, swimming up quickly toward his face and then trying to bite him on the side, and he spends a good bit of the day hiding from her. I realize that, given these behaviors, I might have their genders flipped, but I'm sticking with what I've been using for now until baby matures. They are both eating well, and I still haven't seen any direct hits, just chasing and close nipping. I do think that Copernicus is stressed, as his color is more muted than usual. Has anyone else had this same series of adjustment-period behaviors with their schoutedeni? Thanks!
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Think I may have the photos working now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

And baby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

astrid37 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm Hi! Thanks for yours and Pufferpunk's replies :). That is interesting about your having to separate two schoutedeni and also about your pea puffers. I really appreciated your suggestions on the light diffuser thingy and also the black zip ties. I will check out the diffuser and can already think of a few places where the zip ties will come in handy. I tried to attach a few photos, but even at .gif size, the site it saying they're too large. I'm going to play with them a bit and will see if I can get them to upload a different way. The baby continues to harass Copernicus, swimming up quickly toward his face and then trying to bite him on the side, and he spends a good bit of the day hiding from her. I realize that, given these behaviors, I might have their genders flipped, but I'm sticking with what I've been using for now until baby matures. They are both eating well, and I still haven't seen any direct hits, just chasing and close nipping. I do think that Copernicus is stressed, as his color is more muted than usual. Has anyone else had this same series of adjustment-period behaviors with their schoutedeni? Thanks!
As for pics. Try Flickr. Use the free service as well as the one here on the forum. Flickr uses copied codes that will pop up as a pic for forums.

I may use black sand on the bottom to try and get the spots on the Puffers to show better. I see some in videos trying to be light like the sand. I'd bet they like the dark and become more dark themselves to blend in by instinct.

The light diffuser comes in a 48x24 sheet and can be found at a good price if you look hard.
I was going to do two things with it.
1. -use it as a partition wall dividing two puffers or two groups until I find the correct combo.
2. - The other use was to cut it up into shapes that look as creepy as the driftwood and poke many many plants in it that stay put.
The angle of the diffuser can be just tilted right for the light to catch all the plants on display as well as keep the line-of-sight theory going for puffers and staredowns for territory.