Schoutedeni in a 26 gallon tank?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Breeee123
Puffer Fry
Location (country): California

Schoutedeni in a 26 gallon tank?

Post by Breeee123 »

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and first off wanted to thank everyone for sharing their puffer experiences... I’ve been researching puffers for a while and this site has been a great resource.

On to my question. I am considering getting a Tetraodon Schotedeni and was hoping for some advice/feedback on whether my set up would be adequate. I was originally thinking about getting a few dwarf puffers but I’d really like to be able to get an algae eater such as a Pleco or some ottos to keep In the tank as well. After reading some horror stories I started to worry the DP’s could be aggressive with another fish and I’m not really comfortable throwing a Pleco to the sharks, haha. So I started second guessing my original dwarf puffer plan and I thought the more peaceful schoutedeni puffer might work better.

I have a 26 gallon Fluval bowfront with the longest side being 24 inches which I’m halfway through cycling. I’m growing out a ton of plants now so it will be heavily planted. I have totally fallen in love with the little spotted Congo guy but I’m worried the tank might be a little too small, especially if I get an algae eater as well. The tank gets a lot of sunlight so algae grows like crazy. I keep hand cleaning it from my glass but it’s harder to clean the driftwood and plants. Plus I just like little Bristlenose Plecos and imagine one would be really happy in my algae filled tank. :)

Right now I have a Fluval C3 hang on back filter and a sponge filter, but I’m open to replacing the hang on back filter with a canister filter if that will make my set up more doable.

Any thoughts on keeping a spotted Congo puffer and Bristlenose Pleco together in a heavily planted 26 gallon?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Re: Schoutedeni in a 26 gallon tank?

Post by gkai »

26g seems a little bit small, but a lot of growing, healthy plants should help a lot with water quality. Not sure about schoutedeni/pleco compatibility though. I'd like to know too, I may attempt that although in a much larger tank...
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

So in terms of the sizes of those two fish, a 26 bowfront will suffice. However, plecos and puffers both produce massive amounts of waste. Even with plants, you will likely need one of three things: a larger tank, a sump filter, or frequent water changes. Out of the three, I would suggest that you choose whichever makes the most sense based on your time and budget.

As for the pleco/puffer combo, I've kept an L46 with two Colomesus Asellus, so you SHOULD be fine...
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

I have two green dragon plecos (one male and one female) in with my schoutedeni in a 55gal with a 120gal canister filter with no issues. There are lots of places for everyone to hide, and I still do water changes weekly because I am adore my puffer and am paranoid :).
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

astrid37 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 pm I have two green dragon plecos (one male and one female) in with my schoutedeni in a 55gal with a 120gal canister filter with no issues. There are lots of places for everyone to hide, and I still do water changes weekly because I am adore my puffer and am paranoid :).
Really? I can't imagine any puffer I've ever owned not doing at least SOMETHING to a fish with that long of fins
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

Nope! It's been 7 months, and all is well :).
Breeee123
Puffer Fry

Post by Breeee123 »

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! It sounds like it would be a pretty big challenge to attempt that in such a small tank so I think I’ll actually go with several dwarf puffers and a small group of ottos instead and hope for the best. I think I’d feel better understocking my tank than overstocking it. So does 3 dp’s and 5 ottos sound more doable in a planted tank with lots of hiding places? I’ve read mixed reports on dp/Otto compatibility but with some luck, hopefully there won’t be anything more than an occasional nip. 😬
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

That sounds like a good stocking list.
Do you know how to sex a DP?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Breeee123
Puffer Fry

Post by Breeee123 »

I’ve heard conflicting reports on sexing them. Some say if you get them as juveniles they can “choose their sex,” and when one starts to develop into a male they secrete a hormone that causes the rest of the DP’s to stay female. Not sure how accurate this is. I do know about the eye wrinkles and other physical differences but heard they don’t really develop these until they’re older. If the whole “choosing their sex” thing is a myth then it sounds like it’s just the luck of the draw if your LFS only has juveniles??
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

None of that is true.
I'm sorry the pics don't show up in this:
library/puffers-in-focus/sexing-carinot ... rf-puffer/
library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Breeee123
Puffer Fry

Post by Breeee123 »

Thanks Pufferpunk... great articles!