75 gallon tank setup for dwarf puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
laneyabe
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

75 gallon tank setup for dwarf puffers

Post by laneyabe »

Hello there! I have an empty 75 gallon tank that I want to setup for dwarf puffers. I would love everyone's recommendations for lighting, filtration, substrate, etc. I have had GSP's, but that was years ago and brackish water. I would also prefer to cycle without having to sacrifice a fish...
I would LOVE everyone's opinions and thoughts on what is best for these little guys. Thanks in advance.
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: 75 gallon tank setup for dwarf puffers

Post by pufferjw »

Hey, welcome! In terms of lighting, it's more dependent on what plants you have than the puffers, as they're fine with most options. As for filtration, definitely use either multiple weaker filters or a sponge filter, as the filter needed to suffice in a 75g could possible suck in a dwarf puffer. Substrate isn't terribly important... most people use sand, but I prefer gravel since it's easier for snails to move around on. And as far as cycling, you don't have to sacrifice a fish at all, there are many effective methods to use. Good luck!
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Bbaptist1020
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Bbaptist1020 »

You said you use gravel because of the snails, I have gravel over potting soil. Is this ok in my 55 gallon puffer tank?
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

You can get away with a bare bottom tank and new species with deceiving false bottoms and some aged driftwoood.
A simple layout of flat rocks and other good looking chunks
They shade the reflection from lights and bare glass.
An outflow pipe or pump aimed in the right area can keep a large amount of the bottom clean of sitting leftovers.

Place some flat rocks on top of old suction cups to create gaps under the rocks for flow as well as keep them stuck down.

In this kind of set-up you can gauge how much stuff is accumulating on the bottom vs. time in your new puffer tanks.
Add substrate and plants as time goes on.

It's amazing how much stuff comes out of plecos and puffers.

The biggest tip for me is to feed almost all puffers food chunks that fit in their mouth ( frozen thawed chunk food).
Old scissors are great.

Countless feeding attempts with puffers and big chunks just made a mess leaving bits scattered.
At least the food goes in the puffers and converts to a brown thing that breaks up in most filters.
Not much for bottom feeding friends left in the puffer tanks either.
Farlowella cats do fairly well on the dark driftwood with the dwarves.
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers

Post by pufferjw »

Bbaptist1020 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 pm You said you use gravel because of the snails, I have gravel over potting soil. Is this ok in my 55 gallon puffer tank?
Yeah definitely. Just make sure to use a species that has small babies and doesn't eat live plants. Mystery snails work well.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Macks
Puffer Fry
Location (country): PHX, AZ, US

Post by Macks »

As someone else mentioned, lighting really only matters for your plants. My main suggestion is to plant the crap out of your tank to break up sightlines, which you probably already know. For my current tank, I cycled using inverts and spent a good two months getting it planted the way I wanted (would have been faster if I could afford all the plants at once.) Also, my DPs seem to love my cabomba over all other plants, which I've read online as well. I have had zero success in keeping any sort of pest snail population in my tank, they go through them so fast, so I have a bare bottom, no-filter set up that I breed ramshorn and bladder snails in. Background will make them much more comfortable and active, like all other fish. Have fun! I love my DPs. They're so personable.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Omg I would love to have a 55 or larger for a swarm of dps! If only they were available as captive bred 😩 I gave up on trying to keep them because it’s so hard to find some that aren’t anorexic looking. :/
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR