Dwarf puffer questions

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Lev1te
Puffer Fry
Location (country): West Virginia, United States of America

Dwarf puffer questions

Post by Lev1te »

From my post in the meet and greet my puffer has gotten into it's new home. It has taken a couple months but I have finally gotten to see my puffer eating and she (so far no eye wrinkles or stripe on the belly) loves her snails. I have tried a lot of frozen foods for months with and w/o garlic to no avail. So it seems as all she wants to eat are snails. Mainly it is ramshorns and the occasional pond snail. I have been trying to locate live blackworms from some lfs in my area and they don't seem to have them and was waiting for winter to be over before risking an online shipment. So here are my questions. Since I have seen the puffer go back to empty shells looking for more food, has anyone tried to take the shells and stuff them other food that they might not take normally like raw seafood or something to that effect to try to trick them into eating it? I want to try to vary her diet and also give my snail tank a little break to help numbers replenish without getting about 50 more from my friend. Also she is in a ten gallon tank by herself with some Amano shrimp and some blue diamond neos. Since it looks to be a female I was thinking about getting another to chance a male to have a go at breeding, and if I get another female I'm not too worried. The tank is heavily planted and she is probably about 3/4" long, would it be to late to introduce a baby dwarf puffer in there? Because most likely it would be a young puffer to show up if ordered through my lfs or online. I don't want to send in a baby puffer to just be bullied in her free time?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf puffer questions

Post by Pufferpunk »

I buy worms at Walmart.
How large is your tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Lev1te
Puffer Fry

Post by Lev1te »

Well Walmart was a place I hadn't checked. Not gonna lie I didn't expect Walmart to have live blackworms. It is a heavy planted planted 10 gallon with so far one dp and 4 Amano shrimp and 3 blue diamond shrimp
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You certainly have room for another DP.
Walmart worms are in the fishing/gun dept.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Lev1te
Puffer Fry

Post by Lev1te »

Oh ok that helps a lot I will check there. But my question wasn't necessarily about room, it was if a smaller dp would be ok with one that would probably be a lot bigger than a new young puffer would be.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I know the tank is heavily planted but your best bet is to remove the older puff, redecorate, add the new one, let it pick territories & then add the old one back in.