Dwarf Puffers and Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
SidekickChuck
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puffers and Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Post by SidekickChuck »

Hello all,

New to the forum here but have been trying to search threads on a specific topic of dwarf puffers and MTS'. My apologies in advance if there are lengthy discussions about this that I couldnt find.

I have a 40 gallon planted Community tank that has been thriving very well for 2 years now. Recently, we noticed some MTS shells and figured they were part of the gravel mix or something, until we noticed more and more of them showing up over time and realized we had an MTS infestation. We havent added any new plants, so I assume it came from some new algae eaters that may have had eggs in their digestive system when they were added to the tank.

To control the population, but not eradicate them (im ok with snails for other benefits) I decided to add 4 puffers in the tank. Ive always wanted a reason to add them, but didnt want the need to buy pond snails regularly. So 4 puffers in a 40 gallon tank seemed reasonable to feed the puffers while reducing/maintaining the MTS population.

My concern is that the MTS bury themselves deep into the gravel and only come out when the automatic LED light is at its darkest setting. I assume the puffers are asleep at this time (around 2am) and arent able to eat them. During the day, they hunt all day, but none of the MTS are out. So I occasionally stir up the gravel to bring the snails to the top. It does not appear that the puffers dig into the substrate like my Yoyo Loach does, so is this something to be concerned about? I dont want them to starve and want them to be able to control the MTS population, but from my perspective, it seems that their feeding times are 12 hours off of the snails schedule of coming to the surface. I am just looking for advise as to how the puffers are expected to eat when the snails are buried all day long.

PS: I have not tried using a snail trap or using veggies to lure the snails out during daylight hours yet.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf Puffers and Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Unfortunately, I feel you would have been much better off adding loaches, instead of puffers. Not only are DPs not community fish, they will not be able to eat the MTS--their shells are much too hard & the puffers are not nocturnal hunters, when the snails will actually be out in the open.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SidekickChuck
Puffer Fry

Post by SidekickChuck »

Thank you for your response pufferpunk. I had seen a lot of YouTube vids of puffers eating mts so I figured it was okay. My DPs have been fine so far in a heavily planted tank. A couple of chases with other fish but that’s about it.

Should I consider feeding them pond snails? I don’t mind having pond snails in there as long as the puffers keep the population controlled.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can feed them pond snails but you'd have to crush them. To tell you the truth, DPs really don't have any dentistry issues. Most folks just fed them bloodworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SidekickChuck
Puffer Fry

Post by SidekickChuck »

I don’t mind continuing to feed them blood worms if that will keep them happy with the occasional baby mts they run across.